Re: "Fully Searchable" = Moving Target

Frank Stamford

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Professor Klyzlr" <johnd@...> wrote:

The LRRSA has it's own online presence,
(both via the homepage and the Yahoogroup),
and I know of a number of members who actively promote the Society
and it's publications on various related groups, anytime the
opportunity arises.

Beyond that, the "electronic promotion" opportunities are limited
only by the available time and skills of the Society's "tech savvy"
members. (Frank S, what's the procedure if a LRRSA member would like
to "volounteer their services" in helping maintain/promote the
LRRSA's "presence" on-line?)
Hello Professor,

I would love to see the task of maintaining and developing the LRRSA's
website shared amongst a group of people, but I don't know how that
could be managed, and what investment in software it would need.

There are a lot of web-sites that look like dog's breakfasts and are
very difficult to navigate (and some of them belong to large
commercial organisations which should no better!). And there are a lot
of websites that are incredible in the literal sense of the word - NOT
credible.

I think our website needs to be (i) credible, (ii) have an easy simple
navigation path, (iii) present (at least to some degree) a 'uniform
house-style' from page to page, and (iv) present a simple uncluttered
appearance that does not confuse the reader with too much complexity
and too many choices.

It is probably possible for those objectives to be met with a number
of people sharing the maintenance but I do not know how. But I want to
know because it would be good for us to be able to do it.

At present there are a number of 'features' on the LRRSA website I am
not happy with. I think the overall design of the pages needs
improvement, and not all the pages are uniform - particularly the
pages on timber tramways still have the old style of presentation.

For the technically minded, the LRRSA website is maintained on Adobe
Go-Live. That is now obsolete, and it will have to be switched to
Dreamweaver in due course. The style of most of the pages is
controlled by a "Cascading Style Sheet" (CSS). The timber tramway
pages I referred to above have not yet been converted to read the CSS.
The advantage of using a CSS is that the prsentation of every page in
the website can be changed by changing the CSS, and not every
individual page.

At present the LRRSA website contains about 80 pages, and about 403 files.