Re: The future of groups like LRRSA - was Re: Book pricing

espee8800 <espee8800@...>

I fear the internet has changed dramatically the way hobbies are being pursued nowadays. No longer is membership of a formal group needed to obtain the information and share the experiences of your section of the hobby. The internet groups cater for this quite well. Unfortunately this will herald the demise of the formal group as we know it but that will mean an end to the socalising of us human beings with a consequent loss of the ability to get along in a group. Witness the dummy spits that occur on the internet now and again. Of course if young people get involved in real preservation scheme because they adapt with the times and don't have a management structure that goes around saying "in my day..............."

cheers
David in Avenel Victoria.

Frank Savery wrote:

Hi all,
Just a comment on the age groups of members. When I was secretary of the S.E. Qld branch we used to get about 18-20 members & guests to our bi-monthly meetings. Of the fairly regular attendee's I would guess that 1 would have been in late 20's - early 30's, bracket, a couple more in the 30's-40's bracket and the remainder around the retirement age bracket.
Nowadays, I'm a regular volunteer on both the Don River Railway and the Redwater Creek Railway in Tasmania and the break-up of volunteers is pretty much the same.

Prior to moving South I was secretary of the Modelling the Railways of Queensland coventions, we got about 100 people to each convention and I think under 20's 5%, 30's-40's 15% and over 50's 80% would be pretty close.

I'm afraid formal organisations such as LRRSA, AMRA, ARHS, etc. don't seem to appeal to the younger generation, maybe it's not "cool" to belong to a formal group.

Cheers,
Frank Savery,
Ulverstone,
Tasmania