Re: Powelltown tramway flat wagons?

glenn_howe

Thanks for your response Frank, it was something that I noticed back
in the pre-internet dark ages and promptly forgot until I picked up
the book for the first time in years. Surely the Powelltown tramway
must rank as one of the worlds most endearing light railways, to me it
epitomises every thing that makes this genre so appealing - eclectic
locomotives, lots of quirks and plenty of enigmas!
The leading wagon on the cover photo dated Nov'1918 has a bit of a sag
and doesn't look like a recent addition to me, I suppose that if these
wagons were built around 1916 with the second passenger car they might
have been a temporary measure to carry increased traffic due to war
time demands for timber - are there any production figures to support
this theory?

Cheers,

Glenn Howe

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Frank Stamford" <frank.stamford@...>
wrote:

What a fantastic question!

I was vaguely aware of these oddities when the "Powelltown" book was
put together, but because they did not fit any known facts I think I
tried to erase them from my mind in the hope that they would go away.

Both the photos referred to by Glenn were taken in the 1918-19 period.
I think that is important. I suspect the wagons were built about that
time, found to not work very well, and were quietly put aside. Hence
they don't apear in any photos taken outside that period.

I suspect they may have used mill-carriage bogies, which were
primitive. They apparently used the same time type of bogie on the
second passenger car, which was built about the same time (1916 if I
recall correctly) and which was also put aside when traffic declined,
because it too was not popular due to its primitive bogies.

This all leads me to believe that these (at least two) bogie flat
wagons shared the same type of bogies and underframe as the second
passenger car, and were probably built at the same time.

I have gone back to the original photographs and made high-resolution
scans of the details in question, and added them to an album called
"Powelltown oddities".

As to what these vehicles were used for, it looks like - from the
photo on the front cover of "Powelltown" - that they were designed to
carry long lengths of sawn timber. But obviously they could be used
for any other suitable load, judging by the second photo.

For railway modellers these vehicles would make a very nice prototype.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "glenn_howe" <glenn_howe@> wrote:

Hi All,

While convalescing from the flu I picked up my old copy of
"Powelltown" the other day and noticed that in the cover photo (also
reproduced on page 71) the two leading vehicles appear to be of a type
not explained in the text; they look like truss rodded bogie flat
wagons with side stakes, another one appears in the train photographed
on pages 64-65 showing a glimpse of crude bogies. Does our Mr Stamford
know anything about these wagons or can someone else shed some light
on their origins and use?

Cheers,

Glenn Howe