Re: Book pricing - was Re: Ontario, Canada - 3 ft 6 in gauge - new book ...

Michael J

----- Original Message -----
From: Eddie Oliver [mailto:eoliver@iprimus.com.au]
Sent: 9/26/2007 10:37:28 PM
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: Re: Book pricing - was Re: [LRRSA] Ontario, Canada - 3 ft 6 in gauge - new book ...

Bill Bolton wrote:

You might want to consider that anyone can publish for next to nothing
on the Internet if they *really* want to, but few rail
researchers/authors choose to avail themselves of that.
Exactly. And why is that so?
Actually I do just that. I have written half a dozen articles for Wikipedia on narrow gauge railway topics, and contributed to many more. Anybody can do it, and it is a great way to get basic material on the topic out there. But under Wikipedia rules we still need a "reliable source" such as books and magazine articles to refer back to. No "original research" is allowed. Another issue is finding photos, as they have to be copyright free. For recent photographs this means the photographer has to give up their copyright.

There are also a number of very nice railway history websites out there, and once again it is not difficult for anybody who wants to go that way to do so. I myself have a website with some basic information about subjects of interest to me.

Cheers

Michael