Re: Book pricing - was Re: Ontario, Canada - 3 ft 6 in gauge - new book ...

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...>

jdennis@optusnet.com.au wrote:

That's a fact of life these days. Some high quality books on narrow
gauge subjects published in the UK are costing up to 50 pounds today.
That's closer to A$150 - indeed Plough Book Sales here in Aus have
the "The Iron Sherpa Darjeeling and its remarkable Railway Volume 1"
listed at $164.00.
And selling how many copies?

Narrow Gauge and Industrial have a beautiful book
on the Leek and Manifold Light Railway at GBP49.50, and the lovel
Spooner Album (on the Ffestiniog) at GBP37.50. By the time you
convert those prices to Aussie dollars and add the (excessive)
postage, you are paying well above A$100.
I'm not paying it, and I doubt that many other people are either.

Unfortunately you're going to have to get used to paying A$100 or
more for decent books, particularly imported books...
Again, no, I'm not - I just won't buy them. And unfortunately as long as some people will pay these prices, market forces will not be sufficient to bring the prices down at all points of the production chain, and the markets will just progressively diminish to a regrettably small group with lots of money (or at least they will have needed lots of money before they buy even if they don't still have it afterwards). Since younger people will typically not have such money and/or will have other priorities, it will ultimately kill the whole field of endeavour.