Re: Corrimal Colliery and its Incline Model

John Garaty

Hi all again,
Either I've explained things very well or else I've bored you all to tears and silence already?

One of the weak points of this group.io forum format is that you can't create a direct link to a photo in an album that remains unbreakable. The link to a photo in the album includes some type of a position number. As you add photos to an album you can break the link to the initial photo because the link now points to a different photo that is now in position "x" in the album. Maybe I'm missing something, but, so far I haven't been able to find a way around this problem.

I added a sketch of the Module Floorplan showing the various modules comprising the layout and how they fit together to the "Corrimal Colliery & Its Incline Model" album in the Photos area. The link to the Module Floorplan should be  https://groups.io/g/LRRSA/photo/252976/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Here's some words to hopefully help you all make some sense of what is on each module shown in the Floorplan. This also should help you to work out what is actually in photos of the model when they arrive in the album. The Module Floorplan sketch is not to scale as far as the trackwork goes, but the module sizes are drawn to scale. Modules are either 1200 mm (4'} long or 1400 mm (4'8")  long by 600 (2') mm wide.  Here follows a brief description of each module, its purpose and key features, as we head to the mine:
  1. Bottom End - contains the Tipple and Screens buildings and the kickback siding for the 2' gauge track from the incline, the non-operational 3' gauge stone disposal track from the Screens, and the standard-gauge tracks arriving from Corrimal that feed the empty wagon standage sidings for the screens and the Screens themselves. This module is the downhill end of the operational incline
  2. The Incline - contains the 2' gauge tracks on the operational incline itself, including a catchpoint, and the rest of standard-gauge empty wagon standage sidings below
  3. Top End -  contains the end of the incline, where the empty coal skips pass over the loaded coal skips waiting to go to the tipple. The significant structure on this module is the Incline Brakehouse. This module is the uphill end of the operational  incline.
  4. Dead End - contains the headshunt to feed loaded coal skips to the incline top and a culvert for a creek.
  5. Water Tank - contains the iconic water tank (as seen on the back page of LR60), an ashpit for the steam locomotive, standage sidings for skips diverted from the incline top, The Fulls skip track that is used to feed loaded coal skips to the incline top via the Dead-End module, and, is the pickup point for empty coal skips going back to the mine, hauled by the steam locomotive. There is also a sand drying shed.
  6. Trestle - this is a scenery module that features a timber trestle over a larger creek and is the change over point from steam to the battery-electric locomotive that is used to feed loaded skips to the incline top. The position has been moved, but it represents the Big Bridge on the map in LR60.
  7. Jump - this module exists as the "jump" to and from the two Brokers Nose modules.The use of this module avoids a difficult 4-way module joint.
  8. Brokers Nose 1 - this is a scenery module that features Brokers Nose and a "recent" landslide.
  9. Brokers Nose 2 - this is another scenery module that has the locomotive shed and a waterfall with culverts. A non-operational track diverges here that goes to the Workshop on Mine 1 module.
  10. Mine 1 - contains the exchange sidings where the steam locomotive takes over for the run to the Trestle module from the battery-electric locomotive used for "underground" haulage. Key buildings are the First Aid Cabin, Workshop, Mine Office and the Rope & Cable Store. .
  11. Mine 2 - contains the tunnel portals and the end of the exchange sidings at the mine. Key buildings are the Electric Lamphouse, Weigh Cabin, Spare Powder Magazine and trestles to feed the Powerhouse coal bunker..This module is mainly required to swing the tracks through almost 270 degrees to enter the Main Haulage portal for coal. There is also a separate "Men and materials" portal.
  12. Underground: - a simple balloon loop behind the portals that serves as the loading point for loading coal into the coal skips, behind the backscene and tunnel portals. The radius here is down to 250 mm in places.

How we decided what we needed to put on each module based on how the prototype was worked and what was technically possible in the available space is the real story of this layout.

That ought do for this post.

John Garaty
Unanderra