Re: Corrimal mine

John Garaty

Edited

Hi Roderick, all,
Mining started at the Brookers Nose Colliery sometime in the late 1860's as indicated in the Illawarra Coal Minebase link. The sign was actually at the later Daylight Mine, about a mile further south at what became Corrimal Colliery after Brookers Nose closed in the early 1900's.

The Canberra Times photo is a cropped photo of the original shown in the Illawarra Coal Minebase link. That link is at present the most complete collection of information about Corrimal Colliery. Although initially written with primarily a mining focus, key dates relating to the coal transport systems used have been added.

My suspicion is that the 1902 photo relied heavily on some darkroom "fudging". See the initial 1892 photo of G.S.Yuill's takeover sign.

The bolt holes and shadow of the timber uprights that held the sign could still be seen on the Corrimal portal in 2013. (File P1010691a)

And here's our attempt at the sign, (sign modelled by Geoff Potter) as part of our Corrimal Colliery Incline layout. (File 1240452a)

Provided that It doesn't put too many noses out of joint, I could put up a photo album of some parts of the model and some of the research (a lot of it was LRRSA-based, LR60 being one of the key sources of information for the model)

Regards,
John Garaty