Re: No Sandwich/Cabot's Tern (yet) Thursday am

Stan Walens

The photos are fuzzy and distant and overexposed. And I am not claiming any expertise as a tern identifier. But I don’t see why this is not a Forster’s tern. Wing pattern, face pattern, amount of crest, length of bill, all seem to me to be in the Forster’s range.

As for the pale tip to the bill, if you enlarge the photos you can see that the entire bill is outlined by a fuzzy pale halo. So I think the apparent pale tip is a photographic artifact.

I hope someone refinds the bird and proves me wrong.

Stan Walens, San Diego
July 9, 2020; 10:00 am

Join LACoBirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.