Warhammer Volunteers are still needed #LicenseTesting #HamRadio #training

Edited

6/5/2021 UPDATE: Volunteers are still desperately needed to help out with communications support for this public service event. With less than a week before this event starts, out of the 28 to 30 needed to adequately cover eight aid stations, only 5 or 6 have committed to participate, with one ham willing to travel over 2 hours to help with the cause.

The organizers of the Warhammer have counted on hams in the past when the event started in Powell County and ended in Laurel County. This year, the 100-miles will cover just Laurel and Whitley counties following a different section of the Sheltowee Trace. Also, for this year organizers have added a 50-mile and a 50K cross country run, meaning more participants, spectators, and support staff than ever. Because of the expected number of people, I am extending the deadline a few more days for ham radio volunteers to sign up before I am forced to let the organizers know not to count on us hams this year. Should that happen my fellow operators, whomever may want us to support this or other public service events in the future may think twice before asking us.

Let's face it, here in this part of the country, we don't get a lot of disasters where we may be called upon to help and that's a good thing. Thus we have to rely on public service events here in southeast Kentucky like the Warhammer, Cumberland River Challenge, Redbud Warm-up and Bike Ride, etc. to practice our EmComm skills in preparation for when we do get that call to service. Our failure as ham radio operators for not supporting this event could not only damage to our credibility with other public service event organizers but also negatively impact our ability to help our local Emergency Management Agencies, NGOs, etc. as they may be hesitant in asking for our help when an emergency or a disaster occurs.

I don't want to let the organizers of the Warhammer down so to sign up for this year's event, contact me via email at kb9lxh@... or call me at (502) 785-8942 before noon this Wednesday, June 9th. Thank you.

After taking last year off due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Warhammer 100 has returned to District 9. Unlike previous years were participants were dropped off near Red River Gorge in Powell County to run the 100 miles to Camp Wildcat in Laurel County, the folks Event Opportunities, LLC (event organizers) have decided on a different route that starts and ends in Laurel County, just west of London, and that's not all. In addition to the original 100 mile event over 36-hours, both a 50-mile run and a 50K run have been added.

The 100-mile cross-country endurance run starts at 10 AM on Friday, June 11, while both 50-mile and 50K starts on Saturday, June 12 with all contests ending at 10 PM Saturday night. Over the 100-mile course, eight aid stations/checkpoints need ham radio support over the two-day, 36-hour period. As the amateur radio coordinator for this public service event, the more volunteers I can get the better. Currently, as of today (5/27) I have a firm commitment from 3 hams and possibly the use of an EmComm trailer from the good folks at the Lake Cumberland Amateur Radio Association (LCARA). However, this is not enough given the total time and geographical area of the race. To be successful in properly supporting this public service event, I need a minimum of 28 to 30 hams willing to help. I ask that everyone share this request with your fellow hams and local clubs, not only in District 9 but also in our neighboring districts (5 & 10) and contact me via email at kb9lxh@... or you can call/text me at (502) 785-8942 to sign up. I plan on having a Zoom-type video conference call with all volunteers on Friday, June 4, 2021, Time: TBD.

On behalf of Event Opportunities LLC, and District 9 ARES, thank you in advance for your help.

--
73,

Joe Warren - KB9LXH
OES, ARES District 9
ORS, ARRL - KY Section

Mobile: (502) 785-8942

E-mail: kb9lxh@...
Website https://kyaresdistrict9.wordpress.com
Group Page: https://kydistrict9ares.groups.io/g/info
Follow us on Twitter @KYARESDistrict9

Serving and supporting Amateur Radio Emergency Service members and groups in Bell, Clay, Estill, Harlan, Jackson, Knox, Laurel, Lee, Madison, Owsley, Powell, and Whitley counties in central and southeast Kentucky

"Working hard for something we don’t care about is called stress.
Working hard for something we love is called passion.
Working hard to help others by using amateur radio ‘When All Else Fails’ is our dedicated commitment and passion”.