Topics

What to Do with a Raspberry Pi for Amateur Radio?

Andrew Duli

As a follow-up to the question, ‘What to Do with a Raspberry Pi for Amateur Radio?’ What follows is a suggestion to experiment to MAYBE discover the answer.

There is an 18GB image containing a bunch of ham radio apps that run on a Pi. Below my message is a listing of the apps stolen from the person(s) responsible. If, after looking at the list, the challenge interests you, bring a BLANK 32GB (or larger) flashdrive to the Skyview Clubhouse this Tuesday. I will place the image on your flashdrive (to save you some time).

For this experiment:
  1. Must have two (2) 32GB SD cards or larger (the faster the better)
  2. Strongly suggested is using a Pi4B (4GB) (its faster and better)

I have the image running on two (2) Pi4Bs (4GB).

My installation notes:
I had difficulty downloading just because of too many downloads. I woke up at 04:30 am eastern time and was able to grab the download via one of the original links http://bit.ly/32Xpi74. Downloading at 500 Mbps didn't really take too long. I don't know how exactly; I went back to sleep. Since I downloaded via Windows, I set up the 32Gb SD card via Disk Management, used Etcher and flashed the “HamRadio_W3DJS_Pi_v02.img” file.

After flashing, I placed the SD card into a Pi 4B (4Gb) and it installed fine. Tweaked for my screen, changed SSH keys, password, the usual. Did not have WiFi. Did a 'sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf' and added the following preferred network ssid I want to use (use your own) at the end of the file and then saved the file:
network={
     ssid=”SSID”
     psk=”SSIDPASSWORD”
     scan_ssid=1
}

Other than getting the image, installing “HamRadio_W3DJS_Pi_v02.img” did not require any special effort or any new roadblock that I haven't experienced before.

I’m done (for now).

= = = = = = = = =
The original posting on by Dave Slotter, W3DJS Oct 29 on https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio
  #9438   https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/message/9438

Fellow Hams and Raspberry Pi Enthusiasts,

I am pleased to announce the release of version 2 of the Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image I've been working on. It contains extensive amount of pre-compiled, pre-installed ham radio software. (See below for an extensive program listing.)

The image will require a 32GB or larger SD or micro SD card to install. This image uses the default password for "pi" which is "raspberry". Please change it upon first launch, as the SSH server is enabled and this would be a security risk.

One more caveat: This image comes pre-installed to operate as a wireless Hotspot for field operations. If you are using this at home, and don't want to operate as a Hotspot, then open a Terminal on the Pi and type in "KillHotspot" (without the quotes) and hit return. Networking will then operate normally.

If there is too much pushback on this point, I may remove the auto-hotspot capability in a future release of the image.

I have confirmed this image starts up successfully on the Raspberry Pi Model 2 B and Model 4 B. However, some of the applications require more CPU power than the Model 2 or 3 can provide, so YMMV.

You can download it from: http://bit.ly/32Xpi74. Thanks to fellow Hams Dave Bruse and Norm Schklar for hosting the image on their servers.

This is QSL-Ware. If you download and use it, I request you send me a QSL card. (My QRZ page has my current mailing address.)

Please send me any comments or concerns here so everyone can benefit from the questions and answers.

-Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Version 2 of Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image by W3DJS

General Ham Radio Applications
HamLib - Ham Radio Control Libraries
grig - graphical user interface to the Ham Radio Control Libraries
CHIRP - Radio Programming Software
APRS Message App for JS8Call - GUI to send APRS messages via JS8Call
QTel - EchoLink client
QSSTV - Slow Scan TV (e.g. "Fax")
Gpredict - Satellite prediction
FreeDV - Free digital voice vocoder
BlueDV - Client for D-Star and DMR
WsprryPi - WSPR software
ADS-B Flight Tracking Software
Pi3/4 Stats Monitor - by W1HKJ
VOACAP - HF propagation prediction
GPS Support
Auto WiFi Hotspot - Automatically turn your Pi into a WiFi hotspot when in the field!
wxtoimg - NOAA weather imaging software
twHamQTH - an online callsign look up program
twclock - a world clock and automatic ID for amateur radio operators
acfax - Receive faxes using your radio and sound card
colrconv  -  convers client with sound and ncurses color support
d-rats - A communication tool for D-STAR
fbb - Packet radio mailbox and utilities
gcb - Utility to calculate long and short path to a location
glfer - Spectrogram display and QRSS keyer
Xdx is a DX-cluster client
DXSpider - DX Cluster Server
fccexam - Study tool for USA FCC commercial radio license exams.
gnuais / gnuaisgui - GNU Automatic Identification System receiver
hamexam - Study guide for USA FCC amateur radio (ham radio) license examinations.
hamfax - Qt based shortwave fax
inspectrum - tool for visualising captured radio signals
predict-gsat - Graphical Predict client
splat - analyze point-to-point terrestrial RF communication links
wwl - Calculates distance and azimuth between two Maidenhead locators

Antenna Ham Radio Applications
antennavis - Antenna Visualization Software
gsmc - A GTK Smith Chart Calculator for RF impedance matching
nec2c - Translation of the NEC2 FORTRAN source code to the C language
xnecview - NEC structure and gain pattern viewer
yagiuda - software to analyse performance of Yagi-Uda antennas

Digital Mode Ham Radio Applications
WSJT-X - Weak Signal (FT8, FT4, etc.) by W1JT
GridTracker - Graphical mapping companion program for WSJT-X or JTDX
JTDX - Alternate client for Weak Signal (FT8, FT4, etc.)
JS8Call - Messaging built on top of FT8 protocol by KN4CRD
JS8CallTools - Get Grid coordinates using GPS
(FLDigi is in its own section below.)
gnss-sdr - GLONASS satellite system Software Defined Receiver
linpsk - amateur radio PSK31/RTTY program via soundcard
multimon - multimon - program to decode radio transmissions
multimon-ng - digital radio transmission decoder
psk31lx - a terminal based ncurses program for psk31
twpsk - a psk program

Software Defined Radio
CubicSDR - Software Defined Radio receiver
cutesdr - Simple demodulation and spectrum display program
GQRX - Software defined radio receiver
SDRAngel - SDR player
lysdr - Simple software-defined radio
quisk - Software Defined Radio (SDR)
SoapyAudio - Soapy SDR plugin for Audio devices
SoapyHackRF - SoapySDR HackRF module
SoapyMultiSDR - Multi-device support module for SoapySDR
SoapyNetSDR - Soapy SDR module for NetSDR protocol
SoapyRemote - Use any Soapy SDR remotely
SoapyRTLSDR - Soapy SDR module for RTL SDR USB dongle
SoapySDR - Vendor and platform neutral SDR support library
SoapySDRPlay - Soapy SDR module for SDRPlay
Support for RTL-SDR
Support for SDRPlay SDR
Support for HackRF SDR

APRS Applications
Xastir - APRS GUI client / Digipeater / Igate
YAAC - Yet Another APRS Client
DireWolf - Software "soundcard" AX.25 packet modem/TNC and APRS encoder/decoder
aprsdigi - digipeater for APRS
aprx - APRS Digipeater and iGate
soundmodem - Sound Card Amateur Packet Radio Modems

FLDigi Application Suite from W1HKJ
flrig - Rig Control program which interfaces with fldigi
fldigi - Digital Modes Communications
flaa - RigExpert Antenna Analyzer Control Program
flamp - File transmissions via Amateur Multicast Protocol
flarq - ARQ data transfer utility for fldigi
flcluster - Telnet client to remote DX Cluster Servers
fllog - Logbook application which can use same data file as fldigi
flmsg - Editor for ICS 213 Forms
flnet - Net Control Assistant for Net Activities (Check-In Application)
flpost - NBEMs post office
flwrap - File encapsulation and compression for transmission over amateur radio
flwkey - Winkeyer (or clone) control program for K1EL Winkeyer series

Logging Applications
TrustedQSL - LotW client
CQRlog - Ham Radio Logging Application
PyQSO - Logging software (written in Python)
klog - The Ham Radio Logging program
tlf - console based ham radio contest logger
tucnak2 - VHF/UHF/SHF Hamradio contest log version 2
twlog - basic logging program for ham radio
wsjtx_to_n3fjp - Logging adapter to allow WSJT-X to log to N3FJP
xlog - GTK+ Logging program for Hamradio Operators

WinLink Applications
Pat WinLink - WinLink for Raspberry Pi (and other platforms)
ARDOP support for Pat WinLink
ARDOP-GUI - Provides graphical representation of ARDOP connections
Find ARDOP - Retrieves local ARDOP sources by KM4ACK
AX25 support for Pat WinLink
PMON - a PACTOR® Monitoring Utility for Linux

Morse Code Applications
aldo - Morse code training program
cw - sound characters as Morse code on the soundcard or console speaker
cwcp - Text based Morse tutor program
xcwcp - Graphical Morse tutor program
cwdaemon - morse daemon for the serial or parallel port
ebook2cw - convert ebooks to Morse MP3s/OGGs
ebook2cwgui - GUI for ebook2cw
morse - training program about morse-code for aspiring radio hams
morse2ascii - tool for decoding the morse codes from a PCM WAV file
morsegen - convert file to ASCII morse code
qrq - High speed Morse telegraphy trainer
twcw - sends morse code via the sound card or serial card (Needs RTC installed)
xdemorse - decode Morse signals to text
rscw - Receive CW through Soundcard

*** Ham Radio Wallpaper also included in image ***

Software Disclaimer:
The Software available on this website are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Use at your own risk.
The use of the software and scripts downloaded on this site is done at your own discretion and risk and with agreement that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from such activities. You are solely responsible for adequate protection and backup of the data and equipment used in connection with any of the software, and we will not be liable for any damages that you may suffer in connection with using, modifying or distributing any of this software. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from us or from this website shall create any warranty for the software.
We make makes no warranty that
•    the software will meet your requirements
•    the software will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free
•    the results that may be obtained from the use of the software will be effective, accurate or reliable
•    the quality of the software will meet your expectations
•    any errors in the software obtained from us will be corrected.
The software, code sample and their documentation made available on this website:
•    could include technical or other mistakes, inaccuracies or typographical errors. We may make changes to the software or documentation made available on its web site at any time without prior-notice.
•    may be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such materials.
We assume no responsibility for errors or omissions in the software or documentation available from its web site.
In no event shall we be liable to you or any third parties for any special, punitive, incidental, indirect or consequential damages of any kind, or any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, and on any theory of liability, arising out of or in connection with the use of this software.
 --
- Dave
  W3DJS

Harry Bloomberg

Thank you!  There is a ton of useful info here and I did not know there was a Raspberry Pi 4 Ham Radio group.  Using a Pi as a local hotspot would be very useful at times.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

  #9438   https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/message/9438

KM4ACK has started a video series starting from scratch entitled 'Raspberry Pi Build for Ham Radio' and posted the first video today. The YouTube link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhnCvi54zwU