Topics

Clock Firmware Update

Dave Mueller AA3EE

Hans G0UPL just released a firmware update for the clock kits, it fixes a bug with local time display, and adds a few more features.
BUT, there's a typo (Saturdayday) he hopes to fix soon.

I'll bring my programmer so we can update everyone's chips, hopefully 1.03a will be ready by then.

Dit Dit

Daniel Walter

Great! Thanks Dave. I just checked the kits and they are all 1.02a, so I was hoping someone could reprogram them. Hopefully 1.03a will be ready and bug-free by then.

Dan

Dan

Sent from here. NM3A

On Sep 8, 2019, at 11:24, Dave Mueller AA3EE <dmueller421@...> wrote:

Hans G0UPL just released a firmware update for the clock kits, it fixes a bug with local time display, and adds a few more features.
BUT, there's a typo (Saturdayday) he hopes to fix soon.

I'll bring my programmer so we can update everyone's chips, hopefully 1.03a will be ready by then.

Dit Dit

Jim Painter

When are we planning to put these together?

KQ3S

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Daniel Walter via Groups.Io <nm3a@...> wrote:

Great! Thanks Dave. I just checked the kits and they are all 1.02a, so I was hoping someone could reprogram them. Hopefully 1.03a will be ready and bug-free by then.

Dan

Dan

Sent from here. NM3A

On Sep 8, 2019, at 11:24, Dave Mueller AA3EE <dmueller421@...> wrote:

Hans G0UPL just released a firmware update for the clock kits, it fixes a bug with local time display, and adds a few more features.
BUT, there's a typo (Saturdayday) he hopes to fix soon.

I'll bring my programmer so we can update everyone's chips, hopefully 1.03a will be ready by then.

Dit Dit

Daniel Walter

24th is the plan.

Sent from here. NM3A

On Sep 8, 2019, at 20:51, Jim Painter via Groups.Io <Jfpainter@...> wrote:

When are we planning to put these together?

KQ3S

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Daniel Walter via Groups.Io <nm3a@...> wrote:

Great! Thanks Dave. I just checked the kits and they are all 1.02a, so I was hoping someone could reprogram them. Hopefully 1.03a will be ready and bug-free by then.

Dan

Dan

Sent from here. NM3A

On Sep 8, 2019, at 11:24, Dave Mueller AA3EE <dmueller421@...> wrote:

Hans G0UPL just released a firmware update for the clock kits, it fixes a bug with local time display, and adds a few more features.
BUT, there's a typo (Saturdayday) he hopes to fix soon.

I'll bring my programmer so we can update everyone's chips, hopefully 1.03a will be ready by then.

Dit Dit

Curt M.

Hi guys, I posted the new firmware (1.03a) for the QRP Labs GPS clocks in the file section of the forum.

https://groups.io/g/K3MJW/files/GPS%20Clock%20Firmware%20Update%201.03a

Curt M.

Edited

In order to do the firmware upgrade you will need to install a 2x3 pin header and put a 100K resistor in R3 which is not provided with the kit.   If someone has an actual chip programmer you won't need to do either of these things .  I use an AVR Pocket Programmer and plug directly into the 6 pin header and use avrdude to upgrade the firmware.  Here are the commands I use with AVRdude:

-Go out to DOS and go into the C:\AVRdude folder.
-Put .hex file for the firmware upgrade in the root of AVRdude
-Type avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega328p (press enter)  There is a chance you may get some chips that are 328p and some that are just 328.  I purchased two of these clocks a few weeks apart and they both had different chips.  If that turns out to be the case for you guys and you get some 328's instead of 328p just eliminate the p from this line.  The chip won't take the program if you type the wrong 328 in.
-If everything is fine it should read back that the chip is ready to take commands
-Type avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega328p -U flash:w:c1.03a.hex (press enter)
-It will take a little while for the data to be written to the chip.  It will then read the chip and verify the data and the clock will reboot.
-There are multiple ways to do the programming but this is the method that I use for all of my QRP Labs devices. Thought I would post in case you guys get stuck.  I end up having to refer to my notes every time a new firmware change comes out.

Curt
WU3U

Dave Mueller AA3EE

Thanks for the instructions, I made a clock from scratch and thought I wrote all this down when I programmed my clock the first time.

I have a genuine programmer and a board with a ZIF socket, I can program the chips off the board.  It will be faster and easier. If I get ambitious, I'll print labels too.
I do have a bunch of 2 row headers I'll bring if anyone wants to put them on the board.  Bring your own 100K resistors :-)

The temperature sensors are in, with shipping and tax they'll be $2 apiece.

Dave AA3EE

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 3:53 PM Curt M. <WU3URADIO@...> wrote:
In order to do the firmware upgrade you will need to install a 2x3 pin header and put a 100K resistor in R3 which is not provided with the kit.   If someone has an actual chip programmer you win't need to do either of these things .  I use an AVR Pocket Programmer and plug directly into the 6 pin header and use avrdude to upgrade the firmware.  Here are the commands I use with AVRdude:

-Go out to DOS and go into the C:\AVRdude folder.
-Put .hex file for the firmware upgrade in the root of AVRdude
-Type avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega328p (press enter)  There is a chance you may get some chips that are 328p and some that are just 328.  I purchased two of these clocks a few weeks apart and they both had different chips.  In that turns out to be the case for you guys and you get some 328's instead of 328p just eliminate the p from this line.  This he chip won't program if you type the wrong 328 in.
-If everything is fine it should read back that the chip is ready to take commands
-Type avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega328p -U flash:w:c1.03a.hex (press enter)
-It will take a little while for the data to be written to the chip.  It will then verify the data and the clock will reboot.
-There are multiple ways to do the programming but this is the method that I used for all of my QRP Labs devices. Thought I would post in case you guys get stuck.  I end up having to refer to my notes every time a new firmware change comes out.

Curt
WU3U

Curt M.

Hi guys, there has been one more change to the QRP Labs clock kit firmware to bring it to version 1.03b.  There was an issue with the day of the week in which Hans has just resolved.  I posted the updated file in the files section of the web site.  I've loaded this into my two clocks and it works fine.

https://groups.io/g/K3MJW/files/GPS%20Clock%20Firmware%20Update%201.03a

Curt
WU3U

Daniel Walter

Thanks Curt. Hopefully c1.03b is the end of the bugs!

Dan

Sent from here. NM3A

On Sep 16, 2019, at 09:29, Curt M. <WU3URADIO@...> wrote:

Hi guys, there has been one more change to the QRP Labs clock kit firmware to bring it to version 1.03b.  There was an issue with the day of the week in which Hans has just resolved.  I posted the updated file in the files section of the web site.  I've loaded this into my two clocks and it works fine.

https://groups.io/g/K3MJW/files/GPS%20Clock%20Firmware%20Update%201.03a

Curt
WU3U

Daniel Walter

Curt,
Did you try #DA,#D3,#LA,#L3,#GT, & GS#, which apparently were the problem children?

Dan

Sent from here. NM3A

On Sep 16, 2019, at 09:29, Curt M. <WU3URADIO@...> wrote:

Hi guys, there has been one more change to the QRP Labs clock kit firmware to bring it to version 1.03b.  There was an issue with the day of the week in which Hans has just resolved.  I posted the updated file in the files section of the web site.  I've loaded this into my two clocks and it works fine.

https://groups.io/g/K3MJW/files/GPS%20Clock%20Firmware%20Update%201.03a

Curt
WU3U

Curt M.

I have all of the above in my programming except for #LA and everything appears to be fine.

Curt
WU3U