Topics

Allegheny Portage RR

Jim Painter

Weeeelll, I didn’t want to go there anyway.

I called the park several weeks ago, just to let them know we were coming. The lady said, “No Problem”, just send DOUG an email. So I did. Never got a response from DOUG. So jean wanted to go for a ride today, so I thought, what the hell. Let’s ride up to Allegheny Portage. So we did.

While we were there, I mentioned to the lady that we would be there on the 15th. She said, “Lemme call DOUG”.

DOUG said “Oh, you need a permit and I’m too busy to give you one”. And by the way, if I could give you one, it’s $50.

Thanks so much DOOOOUUUUG.

So who’s up for Mount Davis?

Jim P....KQ3S

Mike Furfari

Jay Oh

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 6:16 PM Jim Painter via Groups.Io <Jfpainter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I called the park several weeks ago, just to let them know we were coming. The lady said, “No Problem”, just send DOUG an email. So I did. Never got a response from DOUG. So jean wanted to go for a ride today, so I thought, what the hell. Let’s ride up to Allegheny Portage. So we did.

While we were there, I mentioned to the lady that we would be there on the 15th. She said, “Lemme call DOUG”.

DOUG said “Oh, you need a permit and I’m too busy to give you one”. And by the way, if I could give you one, it’s $50.

Jim P....KQ3S

Jody - K3JZD

Jim,

There are two ways to play this.   You could still go to the Allegheny Portage RR, and operate from the public Allegheny Portage RR Picnic Area which is on their property and at the same elevation.  I do not think that there are any permits required there.   I operated from that public Picnic Area back when I was doing the POTA stuff.   No one hassled me whenever I was there. It is accessible from Old Route 22, turn in at Maintenance Road.  There may not be any 'facilities' open there this late in the season - you would have to do it the way that bears do it. It is attached to the main facility by a walking trail..

Or, you could diver to My Davis.  No one would hassle you there no matter where you operated from.  However you cannot hang any antennas anywhere that the tourists could walk into.  I generally use the loop around the observation tower.  But I have used and end-fed tied to the observation tower and running back awy from where people would be walking.   There definitely not any 'facilities' there - you have to do it the way that bears do it (avoiding the wandering tourists)

Jody - K3JZD

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 06:16 PM, Jim Painter wrote:

Jim P....KQ3S

Brian Cox

The 15th is a great day for Mt. Davis as that is the ARRL VHF Contest weekend! Brian, N3LZV (sk) and I operated a number of June and September VHF contests dating back to 2010 atop the observation tower (grid FM09) with his FT-817ND. We made a number of Qs into MD, PA, and WV on 2m and 432 SSB. Granted the Qs are typically the same station on multiple bands/modes. We also worked NJ on 6m SSB one year. Another year we heard OH and Quebec on 2m SSB. In June 2016 Rob, N3LJS from La Vale, MD (between Frostburg and Cumberland) was there operating with his HT when we arrived at the tower so you never know who you may work or run into!

Hope it is a successful trip for those who go! Remember to check FM simplex and CW as there is quite a bit of activity during the VHF contest. Also pack a few towels, it seemed like it always rained the day before we went so the topographical map on the tower likes to hold water.

-Brian, KB3ORR

-----Original Message-----
From: K3MJW@groups.io [mailto:K3MJW@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Painter via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2019 6:17 PM
To: K3MJW@groups.io
Subject: [K3MJW] Allegheny Portage RR

Jim P....KQ3S

Brian Cox

There is a restroom at the Mt. Davis picnic area, however it is a bit far down the trail from the observation tower.

-Brian, KB3ORR

From: K3MJW@groups.io [mailto:K3MJW@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jody - K3JZD
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2019 7:48 PM
To: K3MJW@groups.io
Subject: Re: [K3MJW] Allegheny Portage RR

Jim,

There are two ways to play this.   You could still go to the Allegheny Portage RR, and operate from the public Allegheny Portage RR Picnic Area which is on their property and at the same elevation.  I do not think that there are any permits required there.   I operated from that public Picnic Area back when I was doing the POTA stuff.   No one hassled me whenever I was there. It is accessible from Old Route 22, turn in at Maintenance Road.  There may not be any 'facilities' open there this late in the season - you would have to do it the way that bears do it. It is attached to the main facility by a walking trail..

Or, you could diver to My Davis.  No one would hassle you there no matter where you operated from.  However you cannot hang any antennas anywhere that the tourists could walk into.  I generally use the loop around the observation tower.  But I have used and end-fed tied to the observation tower and running back awy from where people would be walking.   There definitely not any 'facilities' there - you have to do it the way that bears do it (avoiding the wandering tourists)

Jody - K3JZD

Jim P....KQ3S

Robert

Or we could go as we planned. If anyone has anything to say we tell them LINDA said we could, Doug's sister-in-law. No one will bother us. 

If we can dazzle them with brilliance, we can baffle them with ... LINDA
Cooky

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM Jody - K3JZD <k3jzd.jody@...> wrote:
Jim,

Jody - K3JZD

Jim P....KQ3S

MFRossi776

Maybe yinz guy's could check with Fort Necessity? I was there a few weeks ago and it's not a bad place.
Just an idea.
W3RRK
Mark

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 6:16 PM Jim Painter via Groups.Io <Jfpainter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim P....KQ3S

Daniel Walter

It is always better to ask forgiveness than permission. Just sayin’. 

Dan

Sent from here. NM3A

On Sep 5, 2019, at 20:22, Robert <radiofreebob@...> wrote:

Or we could go as we planned. If anyone has anything to say we tell them LINDA said we could, Doug's sister-in-law. No one will bother us. 

Cooky

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM Jody - K3JZD <k3jzd.jody@...> wrote:
Jim,

Jody - K3JZD

Jim P....KQ3S

--

Joe M.

And take a copy of the email you sent Doug and if they say they never sent an approval tell them they never sent a denial, but Doug knew about it and replied that he was currently too busy to send the approval. (and you took that as verbal approval)

Joe

On 9/5/2019 8:22 PM, Robert wrote:
Or we could go as we planned. If anyone has anything to say we tell them
LINDA said we could, Doug's sister-in-law. No one will bother us.

Cooky

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM Jody - K3JZD <k3jzd.jody@...
<mailto:k3jzd.jody@...>> wrote:

Jim,

There are two ways to play this. You could still go to the
Allegheny Portage RR, and operate from the public Allegheny Portage
RR Picnic Area which is on their property and at the same
elevation. I do not think that there are any permits required
there. I operated from that public Picnic Area back when I was
doing the POTA stuff. No one hassled me whenever I was there. It
is accessible from Old Route 22, turn in at Maintenance Road. There
may not be any 'facilities' open there this late in the season - you
would have to do it the way that bears do it. It is attached to the
main facility by a walking trail..

Or, you could diver to My Davis. No one would hassle you there no
matter where you operated from. However you cannot hang any
antennas anywhere that the tourists could walk into. I generally
use the loop around the observation tower. But I have used and
end-fed tied to the observation tower and running back awy from
where people would be walking. There definitely not any
'facilities' there - you have to do it the way that bears do it
(avoiding the wandering tourists)

Jody - K3JZD

I called the park several weeks ago, just to let them know we
were coming. The lady said, “No Problem”, just send DOUG an
email. So I did. Never got a response from DOUG. So jean wanted
to go for a ride today, so I thought, what the hell. Let’s ride
up to Allegheny Portage. So we did.

While we were there, I mentioned to the lady that we would be
there on the 15th. She said, “Lemme call DOUG”.

DOUG said “Oh, you need a permit and I’m too busy to give you
one”. And by the way, if I could give you one, it’s $50.

Jim P....KQ3S

--
radiofreebob@... <mailto:radiofreebob@...>
www.skyviewradio.net <http://www.skyviewradio.net>

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
Virus-free. www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Dave Mueller AA3EE

If the group plans to go to Mt. Davis, you're welcome to stage at my place and carpool.  It's a little under an hour from here, and I have indoor plumbing.

Another double whammy option would be to go to Sugarloaf Mountain in Ohiopyle State Park, it's also a SOTA summit.  Not as convenient as a paved parking lot, but IIRC it's not a far walk from the unpaved service road.  With a little notice, a local ham could do some clandestine weed whacking and possibly hang a dipole ahead of time ;-)

Dit Dit

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM Jim Painter via Groups.Io <Jfpainter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim P....KQ3S

Shawn McNelis

Doug is a model for great customer service and professionalism.  

I'm in for Mount Davis.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM Jim Painter via Groups.Io <Jfpainter=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jim P....KQ3S

--
KC3EJC - Shawn

Richard Jones

FYI, Mt Davis is also a SOTA peak. 

Richard // N2GBR

On Friday, September 6, 2019, 9:17 AM, Shawn McNelis <KC3EJC@...> wrote:

I'm in for Mount Davis.

Jim P....KQ3S

--
KC3EJC - Shawn

Tom

Check the POTA website. You can enter an address and the website will show all the POTA sites within 5-10-25-50-75-100 miles.

https://parksontheair.com/geo-map/

I see Laurel Hill State Park and the elevation is 2800'.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom

Actually that's Laurel Mountain State Park.

-Tom

Dave Mueller AA3EE

Wow, I didn't make that connection!
Duh.  But it's been that kind of week.
Dit Dit

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 9:32 AM Richard Jones via Groups.Io <uk0071=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Richard // N2GBR

I'm in for Mount Davis.

Jim P....KQ3S

--
KC3EJC - Shawn

Jim Painter

Yeah, we can double dip on that.

KQ3S

On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:31 AM, Richard Jones via Groups.Io <uk0071@...> wrote:

Richard // N2GBR

I'm in for Mount Davis.

Jim P....KQ3S

--
KC3EJC - Shawn

Dave Mueller AA3EE

Jim,

I didn't see our activation on the SOTA upcoming events.

Jim P....KQ3S

AJ3O

Are we going to schedule for POTA also? 
Are we using K3MJW, W3GH, or our personal calls?

Let me know and I will try to schedule it.
I could do the POTA I think. I know for my own call I can anyways. 

Joe / AJ3O

On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 07:43:19 AM EDT, Dave Mueller AA3EE <dmueller421@...> wrote:

Jim,

Jim P....KQ3S

Dave Mueller AA3EE

I forgot we were doing POTA and not necessarily SOTA (requires battery ops).
Dit Dit 

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM AJ3O via Groups.Io <joe_aj3o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Joe / AJ3O

On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 07:43:19 AM EDT, Dave Mueller AA3EE <dmueller421@...> wrote:

Jim,

Jim P....KQ3S

Richard Jones

FYI:
SOTA isn't only battery ops... if you bring a Genset to the mountain top.. you can use it..
final assent must be made on foot, carrying the whole station equipment to be used..

Thanks,

Richard Jones / N2GBR  

2901 Bryer Ridge Ct, Export, PA 15632

T908 507 0346

On Thursday, September 12, 2019, 10:38:44 AM EDT, Dave Mueller AA3EE <dmueller421@...> wrote:

I forgot we were doing POTA and not necessarily SOTA (requires battery ops).
Dit Dit 

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM AJ3O via Groups.Io <joe_aj3o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Joe / AJ3O

Jim,

Jim P....KQ3S