Re: WFD operations up the joint

Mike Furfari

Good points Jim!

I can remember when i lived in Williamson County TENNESSEE (metro Nashville), I operated Field Day with the county ARES group. I volunteered to do the overnight CW shift. We were outside, no tent or pavilion, and I still needed a 42-inch industrial fan blowing on  me to keep me cool from midnight til 5 am!  That was the last FD I did in Tennessee!

But as far as Winter Field Day is concerned, I can think of  a lot of different things to do in the Northeast in late January, but sitting outside operating  a radio isn't one of them!!

Mike

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 8:52 AM Jim Kinter Jr. via Groups.Io <jim=k5ktf.com@groups.io> wrote:
You DO know it was a group of Southerners who started WFD right?
We wanted a time to play without sweating parts of our bodies clean off, kinda as a dig to ARRL CT yankees for picking the last weekend in June... really? Couldnt have been like April or September?
Fine! They can suffer in the snow while we are in normal clothes. :-)

Might get chilly at night, but days will be awesome....
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 60. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 39.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 63.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.

Listen out for Whiskey Charley Five Echo Oscar Charlie WC5EOC. (Williamson County 5 Em Op Center) Working as 5I STX (since some will be in campers or the trailer, we're classed as Inside...smh)
We will be at an RV park on the north side of Lake Georgetown (N of AUS), a bunch of us in campers and the ARES comms trailer in the midst of it all (we plan to run off the 12KW Cummins diesel gene in it that really is quiet!).
At last count, we have 9 spaces reserved, which will give us plenty of room to deploy long wire antennas and stuff.....
Ive been assigned COML and COMT for the event, running the "testing area", a spot where people can bring radios and ants to be checked out/tested/taught how to setup/play with.
So more than likely Ill get to call CQ around 1-2am CST :-)
I will have my Arrow antenna and printouts, to try to get that easy 1500 bonus by working 1 Q over a satellite.

73 to yall and Ill be listening for the MJW crew! (while wearing just a T-shirt and jeans :-p )

K5KTF

At 12:38 PM 1/19/2020, Robert wrote:
We will be operating Winter Field Day from the clubhouse grounds this weekend coming up. We will be operating from the pavilion. The operation is headed up with our fearless leader, Richard (I ain't afraid of no cold) Jones, N2GBR. This is the same weekend as the fabled Skyview banquet and finger pulling completion at the eloquent Delmont Fire Hall, so that may or may not add a challenge to some. I know I plan on oping as I can that weekend. Richard was asking me about some aspects of the rules. I said "Rules? Theirs rules? I guess I should read those?"

Here is the link to the rules.
https://a2a53e2b-2285-4083-9cff-c99fe5ba1658.filesusr.com/ugd/1c7085_8fa2f4f66e5e40b29a79d014ec53578f.pdf
Read'em - There's going to be a test.

We'll be running battery power with a temporary antennas. We gonna have fun. We may die from frostbite, but we gonna have fun. Check out N2GBRs QRZ page to see some of the great places he has operated from. The lad is having waaay too much fun.

As you were
Cooky

Join K3MJW@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.