Re: Story about last ship-to-shore CW radio station

Robert

I also have a QSL card from them. I'd love to visit.

Bob

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 7:40 PM George Anestis - W3ANX <w3anx@...> wrote:

Harry - The Maritime Radio Historical Society still keeps a commemorative station on the air as K6KPH at:

MARITIME RADIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
PO BOX 392
POINT REYES STATION
94956
United States

I worked K6KPH on 17 Mtr CW just last Saturday, January 11th.  I think they are also frequently active in ARRL events through the year.  Long ago, in the '60s, I spent a full year in the Bay Area but at that time I was not aware of the history of this station or I would certainly have visited.  I guess at that time it was still in full commercial operation and visiting may not have been an option.  In those days even Alcatraz was still a functioning prison!  Man....I must be getting OLD!

73 - George - W3ANX - the OLD fart in Apollo

On 1/18/2020 6:59 PM, Harry Bloomberg wrote:
A touching story and video about the last station on the Pacific Coast in to handle CW traffic from ships.  This station has been preserved at Point Reyes National Seashore near San Francisco and is open on weekends.  I will be sure to visit it the next time I'm in the Bay area.

73,
Harry Bloomberg W3YJ

Join K3MJW@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.