Tal Farlow - Lil' Darlin' #TalFarlow

John

Brian Kelly

John,

I know that is not Tal Farlow at the height of his powers but, despite that, everything you ever wanted to know about mainstream jazz guitar is here in spades. Tal was a giant to me. One of the “Untouchables” of jazz guitar playing. I watched this once and stole two ideas out of it quickly. I’ll use them on the gig tonight.

Brian

pecpec <p_crist@...>

--- In jazz_guitar@..., John Amato <jamato316@...> wrote:

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeV2br1JLFM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I saw Tal in Minneapolis around this time and this is the one song that he played that seared into my memory, My memory hears it better than this somewhat messy version - but then jazz-art can be messy unless you are anal and perfectionistic. Tal was always taking chances it seems - and when it worked - it thrilled. Thanks for reminding me what a unique gem he is.

Scott Dercks

I saw Tal in Minneapolis around this time and this is the one song
that he played that seared into my memory, My memory hears it better
than this somewhat messy version - but then jazz-art can be messy
unless you are anal and perfectionistic. Tal was always taking
chances it seems - and when it worked - it thrilled. Thanks for
reminding me what a unique gem he is.
Did you see him at The Cafe Lux? I saw him there several times when I
first moved to the Twin Cities. One of the times there couldn't have been
more than 6 people there. Frankly, it might have been closer to 3. Me, my
friend Chris Yankus and Billy Franze. (who I didn't know at the time)
He played a number of requests we asked for. It was a bit of a wake up
call. I wanted to make a living playing jazz in Minneapolis and Tal
Farlow couldn't even draw anyone. I do make my living playing, but Jazz
is just a part of what I do.
Scott Dercks
The New &#34;Skinny&#34; Fruit
How This Strange 62-Cent African Fruit Is Making Americans Skinny.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4f9cab23349c4b20b69st01vuc

pecpec <p_crist@...>

--- In jazz_guitar@..., nearvana@... wrote:

Did you see him at The Cafe Lux? I saw him there several times when I
first moved to the Twin Cities. One of the times there couldn't have been
more than 6 people there. Frankly, it might have been closer to 3. Me, my
friend Chris Yankus and Billy Franze. (who I didn't know at the time)
He played a number of requests we asked for. It was a bit of a wake up
call. I wanted to make a living playing jazz in Minneapolis and Tal
Farlow couldn't even draw anyone. I do make my living playing, but Jazz
is just a part of what I do.
It was in some corner of "Riverplace" - which was a retail/club experiment on the bank of the Mississippi across from downtown. now it's just a bunch of small business office. Back then they were trying to call Minneapolis the "Mini-Apple". Not to be.

Scott Dercks

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:25:40 -0000 "pecpec" <p_crist@...> writes:
Did you see him at The Cafe Lux? I saw him there several times
when I
first moved to the Twin Cities. One of the times there couldn't
have been
more than 6 people there. Frankly, it might have been closer to 3.
He played a number of requests we asked for.

It was in some corner of "Riverplace" - which was a retail/club
experiment on the bank of the Mississippi across from downtown. now
it's just a bunch of small business office. Back then they were
trying to call Minneapolis the "Mini-Apple". Not to be.

Some friends of mine opened for Tribal Tech at a place there. Tribal
Tech's Scott Henderson is a great player, as is Gary Willis on bass. All
around monster band. On that night Hilary Jones replaced Kurt Covington.
She killed it...
Not everybody's cup of tea, but you can't deny their talents.
57 Year Old Looks 27
Local Woman Reveals Wrinkle Secret That Has Doctors Angry.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4f9df4c719a75b8d01bst05vuc