Tal Farlow #TalFarlow

mispeltyoof <rodbuckle@...>

Can I ask if anyone owns or has experience of the Gibson Tal Farlow custom shop model.Any comments as to playability etc?
Cheers
Rod

Darvin Willhoite <dbl10@...>

I have had lots of Gibsons, and still have several. Les Paul's, Country Gent's, Howard Roberts Fusion, Chet Atkins steel and nylon strings, ES175's, ES135's, ES137'sand an ES347 and I can honestly say that I have never had one that played or sounded badly. They all have their own sound subtleties, but I don't class any of them as "bad". I would love to have a Tal Farlow and given my experience with Gibsons, I would probably buy one sight unseen if the price was reasonable.

mispeltyoof <rodbuckle@...>

--- In jazz_guitar@..., Darvin Willhoite <dbl10@...> wrote:

I have had lots of Gibsons, and still have several. Les Paul's, Country Gent's, Howard Roberts Fusion, Chet Atkins steel and nylon strings, ES175's, ES135's, ES137'sand an ES347 and I can honestly say that I have never had one that played or sounded badly. They all have their own sound subtleties, but I don't class any of them as "bad". I would love to have a Tal Farlow and given my experience with Gibsons, I would probably buy one sight unseen if the price was reasonable.
Thanks that's very useful.

Cheers
Rod

Brian Kelly

The Tal Farlow models are interesting. Once you have one you realize how much a part of Tal’s sound the actual guitar was responsible for. With the shorter scale the notes have a noticeably different sound form any other archtop. I never had one but have a fiend who has two of them.

Brian

Brian Kelly

The Tal Farlow models are interesting. Once you have one you realize how much a part of Tal’s sound the actual guitar was responsible for. With the shorter scale the notes have a noticeably different sound form any other archtop. I never had one but have a fiend who has two of them.

Brian

David B. Klein

At 08:19 PM 1/26/2012, Brian Kelly wrote:
With the shorter scale the notes have a noticeably different sound form any other archtop. I never had one but have a fiend who has two of them.

Brian
Nice typo. Having two of them does sound fiendish.

David

rguitarjj

I know that Tal experimented with short scales, but I thought the Gibson model with his name was the usual 25.5 inches.

--- In jazz_guitar@..., "Brian Kelly" <bkelly@...> wrote:

The Tal Farlow models are interesting. Once you have one you realize how much a part of Tal’s sound the actual guitar was responsible for. With the shorter scale the notes have a noticeably different sound form any other archtop. I never had one but have a fiend who has two of them.

Brian

Brian Kelly

David,

Thanks for pointing that out. It’s a good laugh.

Brian

andy seyler

I guess the scale length depends on what type of ruler you use. LOL

Everyplace I go on the internet, it states it as 25.5", maybe they made some short scale ones back in the day. That must be the answer because someone out there has two of them that way.

Bob Hansmann

Hi Andy,
I guess the scale length depends on what type of ruler you use. LOL
I just found out the other day that the Danish "inch" is larger than the western "inch". Danish guys (and gals) must salivate when we say in America that we are 7 inches (I am being modest here to be polite to you guyz on the List). But if a Danish guy says he's 7-inches, watch out!!

Ah, the world according to Sloyd...

:-),
Bobby

houseofcharm2

Wow! Extreme envy-my fingers are NO where near 7", not even in Dutch...

JN

Hi Andy,

michal golis <ihroch@...>

2012/1/28 houseofcharm2 <houseofcharm@...>
Wow! Extreme envy-my fingers are NO where near 7", not even in
Dutch...
...how delightfully innocent(:

Bob Hansmann

On 1/28/2012 9:08 AM, houseofcharm2 wrote:
Wow! Extreme envy-my fingers are NO where near 7", not even in Dutch...
Man, are you naive. I wasn't talking about fingers - I was talking about noses!

:-)

Bobby

houseofcharm2

Ah, well I have you there...especially if I keep up this line of lies...