Your latest bird research and conservation news

Larry Arnold <larnold47@...>

speaking of Red Phalarope, it's been awhile

From: "Birds Canada" <birdscanada@...>
To: "Larry Arnold" <larnold47@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 10:36:55 AM
Subject: Your latest bird research and conservation news

Learn more about Canada's wild birds

Leach’s Storm-Petrel Photo: Bruce Mactavish

Recent status assessments of four bird species by COSEWIC

Canada Warbler, Lesser Yellowlegs, Leach’s Storm-Petrel, and Red Knot are all bird species that received attention during a recent meeting of the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada. Find out how their populations are faring.

 Photo: Justin Dutcher

Mark your calendars for the Great Backyard Bird Count: February 12-15!

The Great Backyard Bird Count is a free birdwatching event you can enjoy with your household wherever you live. And you’ll be part of a global effort to increase our knowledge of birds! Get the details.

 Secretarybird: Ron Ridout

2020 Red List includes updates on forest songbirds and iconic raptors

The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species provides information on the global extinction risk of species including birds. The 2020 update included status changes for Wood Thrush and other birds in the Americas and beyond. Learn more.

Dark-eyed Juncos Photo: Shirley Rushforth Guinn

Keep hope for birds alive in 2021

Birds Canada’s mission is to conserve wild birds in Canada. To bring it to life, we need people who share our passion – people like you! You’re invited to join Birds Canada. Discover how your membership benefits you and birds.

  Photo: Amanda Bichel

Eight ways to celebrate wetlands

Thank you to all the Birds Canada supporters who contribute to wetland monitoring and conservation! Did you know that February 2 is World Wetlands Day? It’s a great time to celebrate and take action for these essential ecosystems. Find out how.

  Red Phalarope Photo: Yousif Attia

Trump’s manoeuvres threaten a century of bird protection – at Canada’s peril

On January 5, 2021, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced an official regulation change loosening critical protections to birds provided by the U.S. Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Birds Canada President Steven Price explains why Canadians should be concerned. Read the article.

Research News

  Autonomous Recording Unit Photo: Laura Stewart

Using Modern Tools to Expand the Marsh Monitoring Program

Detecting secretive marsh birds can be tricky – as Marsh Monitoring Program volunteers know well! Autonomous Recording Units hold promise for helping monitor these birds at times and in places where volunteers don’t have access. Read about our study on these devices.

Featured Video

Every year in February, the world comes together for the Great Backyard Bird Count to celebrate, learn about, and enjoy birds. This year’s event is on from February 12-15. Find out how to join in and how you’ll be helping birds.

Events & Opportunities

9 February 2021. “Watch Birds and Share the Joy.” Learn more about the wonders of our backyard birds, as well as how to participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count from February 12-15. Join the online conversation with project coordinators from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Audubon, and Birds Canada at 12 p.m. Eastern. Register here.

12-14 February 2021. This year, Birds on the Niagara bird celebration is going virtual! Check out the schedule of speakers covering a wide variety of topics, from bird ID, to urban planning, to social justice in conservation. Don’t miss this free event!

12-15 February 2021. The Great Backyard Bird Count is a free birdwatching event you can enjoy with your household wherever you live. And you’ll be part of a global effort to increase our knowledge of birds! Get the details.

Latest Research Publications

Linnebjerg, J.F., Baak, J.E., Barry, T., et al. 2021. Review of plastic pollution policies of Arctic countries in relation to seabirds. FACETS.

Routhier, D.D., Dufour, K.W., Bidwell, M.T., et al. 2021. Habitat occupancy by breeding Pied-billed and Horned Grebes in Prairie Canada: correlates of pond use and breeding success. Avian Conservation and Ecology.

supporter