Yellow-billed Cuckoo

M Gregory

I was exploring along Mud Flat Rd. in Owyhee County on 22 June when I stopped at a riparian zone of willows, cottonwoods, aspen and other shrubs (chokecherry?) when I heard the repeated calls and notes of a Yellow-billed Cuckoo. I never actually saw the bird, and tried phishing with my mouth, but to no avail. I recorded the vocalizations with my android mobile phone and later compared them with those available through the Cornell Lab's allaboutbirds.org web site. Here are two pictures of the habitat.
I have twice tried to report my observation through Idaho Fish and Game's website, but the site went down each time.
My coordinates for the site are: N430632.7 and W1154142.5

Alan Gregory in Mountain Home

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.

Ken Miracle

Have you reported it to the Intermountain Bird Observatory crew at Boise State? They have had individuals involved with surveys on these birds.

On Jun 26, 2021, at 8:33 AM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

[...]

<1-IMG_9186.JPG>

M Gregory

I shall do so. Do you happen to know their web address?

https://www.boisestate.edu/ibo/

On Jun 26, 2021, at 8:40 AM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

[...]

Cliff Weisse

You might also consider submitting a report to the Idaho Bird Records Committee, especially if you have audio of the bird.

Cliff

On 6/26/21 8:33 AM, M Gregory wrote:
[...]

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

Louisa Evers

You might also submit the recordings to Cornell via eBird, if you have an account.  Another avenue to explore is uploading your recording into BirdNet to see if it also identifies the recording as yellow-billed cuckoo. Lastly, you might try submitting the recording to US Fish and Wildlife Service and Idaho State Office of BLM since its a species of concern in this area.  Unfortunately, I don't have contact or website information for either USFWS or Idaho BLM.

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

kristin_araki

I happen to work for one of the Idaho BLM offices in Boise. On Monday, I can reach out to a few contacts and see if they would know whom you can send the cuckoo recording. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.
Kristin Araki

You might also submit the recordings to Cornell via eBird, if you have an account.  Another avenue to explore is uploading your recording into BirdNet to see if it also identifies the recording as yellow-billed cuckoo. Lastly, you might try submitting the recording to US Fish and Wildlife Service and Idaho State Office of BLM since its a species of concern in this area.  Unfortunately, I don't have contact or website information for either USFWS or Idaho BLM.

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Scott Tuthill

Alan this is a great sighting and record. I would also encourage you to post your records to eBird. That would also give you an easy way to upload and share photos and audio recordings for others to see and hear. One question about the coordinates you posted. Assuming those are: 43 degrees, 6 minutes, 32.7 seconds North and 115 degrees, 41 minutes, 42.5 seconds West they correspond to a subdivision in Mountain Home. Did I misinterpret the coordinates?

Scott Tuthill