Topics

Winter Raptor Survey Project

Jeff Fleischer

HI Everybody,

I have made postings to IBLE in the past regarding availability of  raptor survey routes for the Winter Raptor Survey Project, a very extensive citizen science project sponsored by the East Cascades Audubon Society based in Bend, OR.  This is our 17th survey season and we now have over 450 routes that are surveyed throughout OR, ID, WA, and a small part of northern CA and northeastern UT.

As a review, we ask that project volunteers commit to once a month surveys for December through February.  These surveys can be done on a day that fits your monthly life schedule.  You would need to have at least a pair of binoculars to view distant birds and if you have a spotting scope even better but not required. You should also have a good working ID knowledge of the more common species of raptors that frequent your area.

The following routes are still available if you have the desire to survey birds of prey for us this winter:

DeSmet - Tensed                     72 miles
Churchill - Oakley                    68 miles
Rupert North                            69 miles
Rupert East - Minidoka            55 miles
Burley SW                               54 miles
Burley SE                                31 miles
Paul                                        65 miles
Minidoka NW                          68 miles
American Falls SW                 44 miles
American Falls - Rockland     78 miles

If you live near one of these areas and are interested in joining this project, please email me as soon as you can as this will be the last advertisement of these routes for this winter.  I will be happy to hear from you and more than happy to get you prepared for the survey work that you will be doing :).  This is a great way to get out during the doldrum winter months and do some raptor watching, hope to hear from you soon, thanks! :)

Jeff Fleischer
Project Coordinator