Warbler Report

lcarrigan_55

Last evening & again, this evening, good dropouts of migrants into the cottonwoods & willows along Snake River Bottoms. Best was this evening. Mixed group of ~25 total: Wilson's, Orange-crowned, Yellow-rumped &, my fave, 3 adult male Townsend's. All working 25-30' up in the cottonwoods. Gray Catbirds have been found 2-5' up in streamside willows.

Last evening, just ahead of an arriving thunderstorm pushing in from the NW, was a kettle of ~200 Swainson's Hawks riding the outward boundary flow from the storm. All headed south.

Cliff Weisse

I was out stacking firewood this afternoon in Island Park and there were small migrating flocks coming through all afternoon. I couldn't find a Townsend's but there was lots of Yellow-rumpeds, some Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and a few Orange-crowneds mixed with chickadees and nuthatches.

Cliff

On 9/15/22 06:51PM, lcarrigan_55 wrote:
Last evening & again, this evening, good dropouts of migrants into the cottonwoods & willows along Snake River Bottoms. Best was this evening. Mixed group of ~25 total: Wilson's, Orange-crowned, Yellow-rumped &, my fave, 3 adult male Townsend's. All working 25-30' up in the cottonwoods. Gray Catbirds have been found 2-5' up in streamside willows.

Last evening, just ahead of an arriving thunderstorm pushing in from the NW, was a kettle of ~200 Swainson's Hawks riding the outward boundary flow from the storm. All headed south.

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

lcarrigan_55

That's good to hear! The couple of groups just ahead of storms around 6 PM were largest have had this Fall. And, best yr I've ever had for Orange-crowneds. About 1 for every 3 Wilson's. The 3 Townsend's were first have seen on Fall migration thru place in 3 yrs.

Brian

Diann Stone

How exciting it would be to see that huge kettle of Swainson's Hawks! Last fall a group of us birders saw Vultures streaming along a ridge in Boise near Discovery Park. That was great to witness, but your Swanson kettle would be truly awesome.

Recent birding at a small local nature preserve provided sightings of Gray Catbirds, Wilson's Warblers, Yellow Warbler, Western Tanagers, a Warbling Vireo and other nice surprises. It's a good time to go birding.

Diann Stone
Boise Depot Bench