Topics

Swainson's hawk, Hummers

Larry Arnold

Seeing and hearing Swainson's in our west Boise hood atop tall evergreens, but at Eagle Island State Park recently three were right above me, close, in cottonwoods screaming bloody murder

Hummer report for our yard.....
looks, sounds, feels like we're about at peak migration? with our expected three species, nearly all Black-chins, occasional Calliope, and an immature male? Rufous trying to claim our back yard
10-20-30 hums total ?  and we're just trying to avoid the crossfire   ;-)

Larry

To: "IBLE" <IBLE@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 3:30:34 PM
Subject: Re: [IBLE] ? Swainsons SE Boise

I’m still hearing young Swainson’s Hawks calling for mom and dad to bring them food. And they seem to like perching in the top of evergreens. Red-tails, on the other hand, seem to be beyond that stage.

Tom McCabe, Boise

From: IBLE@groups.io [mailto:IBLE@groups.io] On Behalf Of julie marcum
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:42 PM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: [IBLE] ? Swainsons SE Boise

Have been hearing a raptor call incessantly for last few days.  Today walked up Howe to Colorado & there it was atop a pine tree.  Didn't have binos with me so not completely sure of ID but sounds like a kid's whistle over & over again.  Large & brown...Swainson's? 

Elizabeth Medes

Meant to chime in earlier - had a whining Swainson in a neighboring field last weekend, with what looked to be two adults perched up in the nearby poplars.  Then today, upon pulling into our driveway, was a juvenile perched by our newly mown meadow.  Not shy at all, he let me get fairly close.  He pounced on something that must have escaped, then took off for the trees.  What a dapper gent.

Liz Medes
Gem County
SWHA 08132020 Fuller Road.JPG
SWHA 3 08132020.JPG

Charles Trost

Liz, 
With the white chest, I believe this is a young Red-tail.
 Here’s,
Chuck Trost

Always forward, never straight...

On Aug 13, 2020, at 5:26 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Meant to chime in earlier - had a whining Swainson in a neighboring field last weekend, with what looked to be two adults perched up in the nearby poplars.  Then today, upon pulling into our driveway, was a juvenile perched by our newly mown meadow.  Not shy at all, he let me get fairly close.  He pounced on something that must have escaped, then took off for the trees.  What a dapper gent.

Liz Medes
Gem County
<SWHA 08132020 Fuller Road.JPG>
<SWHA 3 08132020.JPG>

Elizabeth Medes

The white face is what I was looking at... but Chuck, keep talking to me.  I'm not convinced... only amazed how close I could get.  I was comparing with this and others in the MacCaulay library.  In flight there was no red in the tail, but I kept staring at the beak... also all around it just seemed a tad bit smaller than a red tail.  
maccauley SWHA.JPG

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 5:31 PM Charles Trost <trostchuck@...> wrote:
Liz, 
 Here’s,
Chuck Trost

Liz Medes
Gem County
<SWHA 3 08132020.JPG>

Mark Stackhouse

Hola Elizabeth,

That’s a young Swainson’s Hawk - possibly a dark morph. The heavy, tear-drop shaped spots on a tawny background are typical of juveniles of darker Swainson’s. But the real clincher is the small, delicate feet - RTHA has much larger feet.

Nice photo.

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
from Mexico:
01-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit)
001-801-518-5618 (cellular - U.S. and Mexico)
from  U.S.
011-52-323-285-1243 or
1-801-518-5618

On Aug 13, 2020, at 6:36 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

The white face is what I was looking at... but Chuck, keep talking to me.  I'm not convinced... only amazed how close I could get.  I was comparing with this and others in the MacCaulay library.  In flight there was no red in the tail, but I kept staring at the beak... also all around it just seemed a tad bit smaller than a red tail.  
<maccauley SWHA.JPG>

Liz, 
 Here’s,
Chuck Trost

Liz Medes
Gem County
<SWHA 3 08132020.JPG>

Charles Trost

Hi Liz,
I agree that this one is a young Swainson’s.  But the one in yesterday’s post was indeed a Red-tail.
Cheers,
Chuck

On Aug 13, 2020, at 9:53 PM, Mark Stackhouse <westwings@...> wrote:

Hola Elizabeth,

That’s a young Swainson’s Hawk - possibly a dark morph. The heavy, tear-drop shaped spots on a tawny background are typical of juveniles of darker Swainson’s. But the real clincher is the small, delicate feet - RTHA has much larger feet.

Nice photo.

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
from Mexico:
from  U.S.
011-52-323-285-1243 or
1-801-518-5618

On Aug 13, 2020, at 6:36 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

<maccauley SWHA.JPG>

Liz, 
 Here’s,
Chuck Trost

Liz Medes
Gem County
<SWHA 3 08132020.JPG>

Elizabeth Medes

Gracias, Mark, nice to get feedback.  And thank you Chuck.  Just to be clear my first photos were in my yard,  the second post was from Maccauley and labeled "Swainson Hawk."

I'm not sure if it was the Swainson or an RT this a.m. that took out the kestrel nest in our front maple.  We woke up to a ton of racket, lots of kestrel alarms, and upon leaving for our walk, a hawk flew out of the maple carrying what looked like nesting material and a nestling, which he casually ate for breakfast at the top of a utility pole while the kestrels mobbed him.

Typically the kestrels nest in a box here, but they moved into the maple this spring - this would be a second clutch, and now I'm afraid it's gone.  I didn't know hawks would raid a kestrel nest.  Dang...

Liz Medes
Emmett ID

Mark Stackhouse

Hola Liz and Chuck,

Yes, Chuck is correct - I didn’t see the original photos from your yard, and assumed we were talking about the photo in the second post. But the photos of the hawk in your yard are indeed of a juvenile Red-tailed, as Chuck says. 

I feel that stability has returned to the universe, as it was very disconcerting to me to disagree with Chuck on an i.d. ;-) 

Liz, note the difference in the feet on your photo on the fence post, and the Macauley Library photo of the Swainson’s.

Glad that’s cleared up . . .

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
from Mexico:
from  U.S.
011-52-323-285-1243 or
1-801-518-5618

On Aug 14, 2020, at 9:38 AM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Gracias, Mark, nice to get feedback.  And thank you Chuck.  Just to be clear my first photos were in my yard,  the second post was from Maccauley and labeled "Swainson Hawk."

I'm not sure if it was the Swainson or an RT this a.m. that took out the kestrel nest in our front maple.  We woke up to a ton of racket, lots of kestrel alarms, and upon leaving for our walk, a hawk flew out of the maple carrying what looked like nesting material and a nestling, which he casually ate for breakfast at the top of a utility pole while the kestrels mobbed him.

Typically the kestrels nest in a box here, but they moved into the maple this spring - this would be a second clutch, and now I'm afraid it's gone.  I didn't know hawks would raid a kestrel nest.  Dang...

Liz Medes
Emmett ID

Elizabeth Medes

Many thanks for that foot tip.  I'll remember that.  The chest pattern told me RT but all the white on the face made me think otherwise.  Happy to be set straight.  Between here and Montour at the moment it is thick with raptors, particularly late evening.  Nice place to practice.

Liz Medes
Emmett, the east side

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 11:43 AM Mark Stackhouse <westwings@...> wrote:
Hola Liz and Chuck,

Yes, Chuck is correct - I didn’t see the original photos from your yard, and assumed we were talking about the photo in the second post. But the photos of the hawk in your yard are indeed of a juvenile Red-tailed, as Chuck says. 

I feel that stability has returned to the universe, as it was very disconcerting to me to disagree with Chuck on an i.d. ;-) 

Liz, note the difference in the feet on your photo on the fence post, and the Macauley Library photo of the Swainson’s.

Glad that’s cleared up . . .

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
from Mexico:
from  U.S.
011-52-323-285-1243 or
1-801-518-5618

On Aug 14, 2020, at 9:38 AM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Liz Medes
Emmett ID