Snow Geese

Tom & Susan Soniville

We were between Nampa and Marsing when we saw large flocks of snow geese overhead. Drove to the south end of Lake Lowell and found a couple thousand of them on the water or coming in. Seems early.

Tom Soniville

--
Tom Soniville
Boise. North End

Ken Miracle

They come through going south every fall and some hang around longer than others. A few are reported around Treasure Valley all winter. I have photographs of large flocks in mid November going back several years including some from yesterday :-)

On Nov 20, 2022, at 2:45 PM, Tom & Susan Soniville <tomnsueid@...> wrote:

We were between Nampa and Marsing when we saw large flocks of snow geese overhead. Drove to the south end of Lake Lowell and found a couple thousand of them on the water or coming in. Seems early.

Tom Soniville

--
Tom Soniville
Boise. North End <20221120_134321.jpg>

Louisa Evers

Snow geese have been showing up in southwest Idaho for at least a couple of weeks now.

--
Louisa Evers
Take care of the birds and you take care of the world

Heidi Ware Carlisle

Weighing in on the Snow Geese, I was at the Idaho Bird Conservation Partnership meeting this week and we were hearing from refuge managers that this is definitely higher numbers/longer duration than used to be normal. In recent years we've had a fairly large flock on Lake Lowell, but they reported that this year the numbers are rivalling or surpassing what we usually see at Fort Boise WMA in the spring!

Normally we have some decent fall migration, fewer in winter, and tons in spring. So, seeing this many in fall is noteworthy for sure

Heidi

On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 2:58 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
They come through going south every fall and some hang around longer than others. A few are reported around Treasure Valley all winter. I have photographs of large flocks in mid November going back several years including some from yesterday :-)

On Nov 20, 2022, at 2:45 PM, Tom & Susan Soniville <tomnsueid@...> wrote:

We were between Nampa and Marsing when we saw large flocks of snow geese overhead. Drove to the south end of Lake Lowell and found a couple thousand of them on the water or coming in. Seems early.

Tom Soniville

--
Tom Soniville
Boise. North End <20221120_134321.jpg>

A few days ago I was at Deer Flat lower dam about an hour before sunset.  Several waves of snow geese flew over towards the snake river.  The waves of geese lasted about 20+ minutes and at one point every where I looked in the sky I saw geese.  It was a heartwarming sight!

On Nov 20, 2022, at 8:27 PM, Heidi Ware Carlisle <heidithebirdnerd@...> wrote:

[...]

There was about 850 snow geese on CJ Strike today.  I can’t remember ever seeing snow geese on this reservoir.

[...]

I have seen and photographed Snow Geese at and on the CJ Strike Reservoir quite a few times also flying down stream from the reservoir to feed multiple times they there fall and spring.

On Nov 20, 2022, at 9:44 PM, Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Kiernan

Lake lowell today easly about 3000