Ruby-crowned Kinglet?

M Gregory

This bird visited my backyard fountain an hour ago. Lots of orange on breast, distinctive wing bars, and a hint of brown on throat, with small blackish spots on top of head. I first thought "warbler," but now I think kinglet. Any thoughts?

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.

Elizabeth Medes

That looks like a lesser goldfinch. They are in small flocks on the canals here right now.  We have RC kinglets in winter and they are so jumpy, only landing once in a while on our suet feeders.  They have a distinct eyering, too.

Liz Medes
Emmett

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 10:22 AM M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:
This bird visited my backyard fountain an hour ago. Lots of orange on breast, distinctive wing bars, and a hint of brown on throat, with small blackish spots on top of head. I first thought "warbler," but now I think kinglet. Any thoughts?

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association

Cliff Weisse

Coincidentally I heard the first singing Ruby-crowned Kinglet in my yard this morning in Island Park. Temps are headed for the 60s and the snow is melting fast. Feels like spring.

Cliff

On 5/1/21 10:29 AM, Elizabeth Medes wrote:
[...]

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

bike4birds

Looks like all the Lesser Goldfinches that swarm my yard each day. Beak is more finch-like than either a warbler or a kinglet.

Tom McCabe

This bird visited my backyard fountain an hour ago. Lots of orange on breast, distinctive wing bars, and a hint of brown on throat, with small blackish spots on top of head. I first thought "warbler," but now I think kinglet. Any thoughts?

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member

Member, North American Butterfly Association

M Gregory

Thanks, I didn't even think of goldfinch. And more than a few Lesser Goldfinches have visited my fountain in recent weeks.
Alan Gregoory in Mountain Home