Rose-breasted Grosbeak

lcarrigan_55

Just had a RB Grosbeak male in full adult color appear at feeder. Had to look back in my records & first appearance of one at our river location was in 2017. Have seen at least one every Spring since. A couple yrs ago had 3 appear. Never stay long, but always a beautiful "shock" to see! And definitely, king of the feeder! I'll see 5-6 BH Grosbeaks stacked all around & if any try to reach the platform, a quick nip by the RB & off the BH go!

Others: Lazuli Bunting, House Wren, Yellow Warbler, Am Robin, Song Sparrow, House Finch, BC Chickadee & BC Hummingbird. The Pine Siskins, Evening Grosbeaks, White-crowned Sparrows, DE Juncos & Chipping Sparrows have moved on. Still waiting for Western Tanager.

forsmann

Yes, I am still waiting for western tanagers as well.

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 9:10 AM lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just had a RB Grosbeak male in full adult color appear at feeder. Had to look back in my records & first appearance of one at our river location was in 2017. Have seen at least one every Spring since. A couple yrs ago had 3 appear. Never stay long, but always a beautiful "shock" to see! And definitely, king of the feeder! I'll see 5-6 BH Grosbeaks stacked all around & if any try to reach the platform, a quick nip by the RB & off the BH go!

Others: Lazuli Bunting, House Wren, Yellow Warbler, Am Robin, Song Sparrow, House Finch, BC Chickadee & BC Hummingbird. The Pine Siskins, Evening Grosbeaks, White-crowned Sparrows, DE Juncos & Chipping Sparrows have moved on. Still waiting for Western Tanager.

"Where the Energy Flows, That's What Grows."
Bryan L Forsmann
208-520-0508
831 Dalmation Drive
Idaho Falls Idaho 83402

forsmann

Also had our first hairy bat last night.

[...]

Diann Stone

I enjoyed reading about your Grosbeak observations. You have a nice variety of species. Good luck on the W Tanager. I hope it appears.

Diann Stone
Boise Depot Bench

On Fri, May 21, 2021, 9:10 AM lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just had a RB Grosbeak male in full adult color appear at feeder. Had to look back in my records & first appearance of one at our river location was in 2017. Have seen at least one every Spring since. A couple yrs ago had 3 appear. Never stay long, but always a beautiful "shock" to see! And definitely, king of the feeder! I'll see 5-6 BH Grosbeaks stacked all around & if any try to reach the platform, a quick nip by the RB & off the BH go!

Others: Lazuli Bunting, House Wren, Yellow Warbler, Am Robin, Song Sparrow, House Finch, BC Chickadee & BC Hummingbird. The Pine Siskins, Evening Grosbeaks, White-crowned Sparrows, DE Juncos & Chipping Sparrows have moved on. Still waiting for Western Tanager.

bike4birds

I don’t have any Rose-breasted Grosbeak sightings to add, but I find it interesting that I am still seeing/hearing Pine Siskins, I found a large flock of Evening Grosbeaks today, as well as Western Tanagers for the last 3 days. Plus, I had my first Western Wood Pewee yesterday, and I’ve enjoyed at least 40 species each of the last 3 days, even in the pouring rain today. Gotta love migration. You never know who’s around the next bend. ;-)

Tom McCabe, Boise

Just had a RB Grosbeak male in full adult color appear at feeder. Had to look back in my records & first appearance of one at our river location was in 2017. Have seen at least one every Spring since. A couple yrs ago had 3 appear. Never stay long, but always a beautiful "shock" to see! And definitely, king of the feeder! I'll see 5-6 BH Grosbeaks stacked all around & if any try to reach the platform, a quick nip by the RB & off the BH go!

Others: Lazuli Bunting, House Wren, Yellow Warbler, Am Robin, Song Sparrow, House Finch, BC Chickadee & BC Hummingbird. The Pine Siskins, Evening Grosbeaks, White-crowned Sparrows, DE Juncos & Chipping Sparrows have moved on. Still waiting for Western Tanager.

lcarrigan_55

Maybe my Evening Grosbeaks & Pine Siskins headed west. In exchange, shoo a few of those W Tanagers to the east side of the state!

The Rose-breasted Grosbeak has hit the seed feeder 3 times today for just brief intervals.

Brian