Red Phalarope reported yesterday from Twin Falls Co (S of Hansen)

Jay Carlisle

I've seen lots of traffic (on eBird & Facebook) about the phalarope up at Mann Lake but an out of state birder (who's doing some crossbill surveys for Intermountain Bird Observatory) located one yesterday just N of the South Hills - ebird.org/checklist/S92255923.  Not sure if anyone has gone looking today ...

Jay

scottywarbler

This pond, although private property, is an excellent, overlooked, shorebird spot. I’ve also seen EU Wigeon, LT Ducks, and all three scoters there in early winter.

Zeke Watkins
208-731-1471
Instagram : @idahobirder

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Without the animals, Man would die of a great loneliness of the Spirit - Chief Seattle

An understanding of the natural world and what's in it is a source of not only great curiosity but great fulfillment - Sir David Attenborough

On Jul 25, 2021, at 5:54 PM, Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay@...> wrote:

I've seen lots of traffic (on eBird & Facebook) about the phalarope up at Mann Lake but an out of state birder (who's doing some crossbill surveys for Intermountain Bird Observatory) located one yesterday just N of the South Hills - ebird.org/checklist/S92255923.  Not sure if anyone has gone looking today ...

Jay

Bob Davis

Thanks Zeke and Jay. If private property is it still viewable from public access?
Thanks
Bob

On Jul 26, 2021, at 07:08, scottywarbler via groups.io <scottywarbler@...> wrote:

[...]

Patricia Weber

The property is private.  There is a group going out this morning and keeping cars to a minimum.  We text the farm manager we are coming.  If the bird is relocated we will try and work out a system to allow access.  For  birders in the area it is a “go to” spot and we do want to lose the access.

Pat

On Jul 25, 2021, at 5:54 PM, Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I've seen lots of traffic (on eBird & Facebook) about the phalarope up at Mann Lake but an out of state birder (who's doing some crossbill surveys for Intermountain Bird Observatory) located one yesterday just N of the South Hills - ebird.org/checklist/S92255923.  Not sure if anyone has gone looking today ...

I was born in TF and lived there for years, except for a 3 year sting in Pocatello at ISU, until we moved to Boise in 1986. I was a hunter not a birder or photographer back in those days. My grandfather was head water master for the Twin Falls Canal Company and I spent many hours on the canal and ditch banks with him.

The area where these ponds are was a go to duck, pheasant and gray partridge hunting area back then but it has changed a lot from what I could see on satellite maps … I know other areas of the magic valley have to with the huge increase in dairies in the valley and the change in crops to support them. Far more center pivots etc. and fewer weedy brushy areas along ditches from the looks of it.

I would guess these are catch ponds related to dairy operations upstream ???

I have not been into the “south hills” or explored the Stricker Cabin, Murtaugh Lake, Cottonwood Flume etc. areas in many years. Now as a birder I need to make a trip back home to see and bird these areas that keep having a number of rare bird reports popping up.

Patricia …. I sure hope you can keep the access for the local birders and thank you for working with the birding public and the land owners to try and do that !

On Jul 26, 2021, at 7:32 AM, Patricia Weber <birder1932@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Pat. Please let us know. This would be a life bird for many.
Bob

On Jul 26, 2021, at 07:32, Patricia Weber <birder1932@...> wrote:

[...]

Melody and Michael Asher and McBride

Several local birders have spent the morning at South Hansen Ponds (which is private property & you should have permission to bird there) & we did not relocate the red phalarope.

signed -  4 forlorn birders :(

Melody Asher
Twin Falls  County

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021, 07:54 Bob Davis <rhdavis@...> wrote:
[...]