From: "Ronald Rowland" <rlrowland@...>
To: "IBLE" <IBLE@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 9:26:34 AM
Subject: [IBLE] Recent NM birds deaths report

Hey out there in "ible"land, RL here.
Recently Jay reported and sent a newspaper link, about a large number of migrant insectivore bird deaths in New Mexico. Some of you may have heard from other sources.
Go to the ABA (American Birding Assn) website homepage; there is an extensive article/report on this tragic happening. I'll say no more here as it's all there.
CGB. RL

lcarrigan_55

Yes, this is not good. Haven't found dead birds. But, locally, my fall warbler migration observations reveal just a fraction of the bird numbers seen in previous years. Will be interested to see numbers coming from Lucky Peak & areas over here on east side of state.

Jay Carlisle

Thanks RL & good question Brian

At IBO's Lucky Peak field station where we've maintained long-term monitoring of autumn songbird, diurnal raptor, and forest owl populations for over 20 years, 2018 was a "boom" year (bigger than average #s for many species, one of our highest totals across 23 seasons to date) for songbirds followed by one of our lowest years for most species in 2019.  2020 so far looks like a good to great year for many species (including most warblers & sparrows) - especially considering the recovery needed from a poor 2019 but even just looking against the long-term average - and it's scary to think that some of these individuals that have passed through our region already (&, in our case, been counted for 2020) might have run into this deadly scenario further south on their route.

Jay

On Monday, September 21, 2020, 2:17:02 PM MDT, lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55@...> wrote:

Yes, this is not good. Haven't found dead birds. But, locally, my fall warbler migration observations reveal just a fraction of the bird numbers seen in previous years. Will be interested to see numbers coming from Lucky Peak & areas over here on east side of state.

Thanks RL.  ABA has the best information I have read. As expected some media outlets ie Forbes and others jumped to conclusions on the cause and also exaggerated the numbers.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 9:26 AM, R L ROWLAND RONALD ROWLAND <rlrowland@...> wrote:

Hey out there in "ible"land, RL here.
Recently Jay reported and sent a newspaper link, about a large number of migrant insectivore bird deaths in New Mexico. Some of you may have heard from other sources.
Go to the ABA (American Birding Assn) website homepage; there is an extensive article/report on this tragic happening. I'll say no more here as it's all there.
CGB. RL

lcarrigan_55

Thanks for the report from Lucky Peak, Jay. That's good to hear. Maybe songbirds shifted their migration pattern this yr, haven't fully arrived in their passage through my area (Snake River Riparian bordering Snake River & Riparian BLM ground/in past has always acted as a spring & fall songbird migrant stopover) or I just plain missed the biggest part of their push. Just know last yr & so far, this fall, not seeing big mixed groups as in previous yrs. Appears to mainly be 2-3 bird groups of stragglers. If I don't get a Townsend's soon, will be 2nd yr in a row with zero.

rattlesnake4873

I had up to two dozen YRWA at Cascade Reservoir yesterday. Likely more. Scanned for another species with no evidence of such.

Dean Jones

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 6:56 PM lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for the report from Lucky Peak, Jay. That's good to hear. Maybe songbirds shifted their migration pattern this yr, haven't fully arrived in their passage through my area (Snake River Riparian bordering Snake River & Riparian BLM ground/in past has always acted as a spring & fall songbird migrant stopover) or I just plain missed the biggest part of their push. Just know last yr & so far, this fall, not seeing big mixed groups as in previous yrs. Appears to mainly be 2-3 bird groups of stragglers. If I don't get a Townsend's soon, will be 2nd yr in a row with zero.

It was on NPR last week as well.   Interview with Dr. Martha Desmond,  NM State Univ.

Richard and Ann Rusnak

Same here, especially near Stonebreaker Rd, but no other warbler species, nor any shore birds. 4 Sandhills though hanging with 120 plus white pelicans.
Rich