Topics

Raptors

M Gregory

Saw many buteos this morning in rural Elmore County. I hope I have the ID right  on this bird: Ferruginous Hawk

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.

Ken Miracle

Not a Ferruginous Hawk or you would see feathering all the way down the legs to the feet.

Given the size and coloration I would say it is a nice shot of a dark morphed Red-tailed Hawk but while I am better with raptors than the “little brown jobbies” there are others out there who are more experienced than I am.

On Jan 10, 2021, at 3:54 PM, M Gregory <alanclarkg@...> wrote:

Saw many buteos this morning in rural Elmore County. I hope I have the ID right  on this bird: Ferruginous Hawk

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association

<1-IMG_7149.JPG><1-IMG_7152.JPG>

Cliff Weisse

I don't think this one is a House Sparrow ;-). It looks like an intermediate morph Redtail based on rufous underparts and brown belly streaking.

Cliff

On 1/10/21 3:54 PM, M Gregory wrote:
Saw many buteos this morning in rural Elmore County. I hope I have the ID right  on this bird: Ferruginous Hawk

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

Ken Miracle

Thanks Cliff for the info. on intermediate morph … do they not get called dark morph until they get to the really dark level of the Harlan’s with the white tipped tail ?

On Jan 10, 2021, at 4:18 PM, Cliff Weisse <cliffandlisa@...> wrote:

I don't think this one is a House Sparrow ;-). It looks like an intermediate morph Redtail based on rufous underparts and brown belly streaking.

Cliff

On 1/10/21 3:54 PM, M Gregory wrote:
Saw many buteos this morning in rural Elmore County. I hope I have the ID right  on this bird: Ferruginous Hawk

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

Cliff Weisse

No, there are dark morphs that aren't Harlan's. Harlan's has the cold brown plumage with stark white markings, lacking the warmer brown coloration of other Dark Morphs - even the light morph Harlan's has the cold brown color. Alan's bird has the same pattern as a light morph but with rufous underparts and brown streaking/upperparts - they're also called "Rufous" morphs for this reason.

Cliff

On 1/10/21 4:21 PM, Ken Miracle via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Elizabeth Medes

My guess would also be a Harlan's RTHA.  We have a couple here that are so dark, always throws  me off.

Liz Medes
Gem County