From: "M Gregory" <alanclarkg@...>
To: "IBLE" <IBLE@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 4:51:59 PM
Subject: [IBLE] Owls

Since moving to Mountain Home, and bicycling as much as possible, I have recorded and photographed dozens of roadkill owls, principally Barn Owls, but also Great Horned, Screech and Short-eared.
This is only an anecdote, but I cannot help but consider that human activities, like driving a motor vehicle, are the greatest cause of owl mortality. Here are pics of two of the dead Barn Owls (Tyto alba) I found in recent weeks.
Alan Gregory in Mountain Home

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.

M Gregory

Thanks Larry. I have been posting pics and field notes of roadkill to Idaho Fish and Game, through its web site. And I talked with an agency biologist at one point. She, in turn, sent me links to academic/research papers. In 1989, upon settling in Pennsylvania, I began keeping a journal in which I listed the species, date and location of any wildlife (birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and butterflies) I found during walks. I am in my fifth journal now and my tally of species is well over 250 now.
Alan

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 10:16 AM Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

Alan,
several yrs ago we discussed this briefly on IBLE
I believe Stoddard Davenport reported some crazy high numbers of roadkill Barn Owls along I-84 that he had found with a bit of research ?  and my hunch is that Stoddard was referencing the two docs that Karl K mentioned earlier today ?

Anyway, on one of our trips from Boise to Twin Falls to visit our daughter and family, we counted them along both directions of I-84...
I'm not finding my notes at the moment, but I think we tallied abt 130 easily visible dead Barn Owls...  very sad to see
Larry Arnold