On SE Boise Nextdoor today

julie marcum

A gentleman reported that this owl flew into his window twice last night.  He is listed as "Parkcenter" area.  Comments ID as barred vs great grey.  I'm inclined to go with barred since we have seen them at Shakespeare.

forsmann

I think Great Gray

--
"Where the Energy Flows, That's What Grows."
Bryan L Forsmann

Ken Miracle

Barred Owl … I have photographed them just off Parkcenter last year and there was one in the Christmas Bird count week in River Run I have one printed in metal on my wall that was taken in Barber Park. They have become a normal winter fixture in S.E. Boise. That said I have not seen one yet this year.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 10:05 AM, julie marcum <1mucram@...> wrote:

<owl.jpeg>

Cliff Weisse

It's definitely a Barred Owl. Great Gray lacks the white underparts and white barring on the upperparts and has dark facial discs.

Cliff

On 2/3/21 10:15 AM, forsmann wrote:
I think Great Gray

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:05 AM julie marcum <1mucram@...> wrote:
A gentleman reported that this owl flew into his window twice last night.  He is listed as "Parkcenter" area.  Comments ID as barred vs great grey.  I'm inclined to go with barred since we have seen them at Shakespeare.

--
"Where the Energy Flows, That's What Grows."
Bryan L Forsmann
208-520-0508
P. O. Box 52177
Idaho Falls Idaho 83405
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

Brian Bizik

I think the eyes are dark - barred have those really dark eyes vs the yellow of a great gray (looks like some light from the camera reflecting in the eyes).  The frontal coloration favors barred,  size favors barred when compared to the size of the fence, bill color favors barred and the population density in this area favors barred.  IMHO :)

Brian Bizik MS PA-C
Asthma and COPD Care Coordinator, Terry Reilly Health Centers
Past President and current Secretary & Conference Chair - The American Academy of Physician Assistants in Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
208-404-5338

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self"
--Ernest Hemingway

"Everyone matters or no one matters"
--Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 10:20:02 AM MST, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28@...> wrote:

Barred Owl … I have photographed them just off Parkcenter last year and there was one in the Christmas Bird count week in River Run I have one printed in metal on my wall that was taken in Barber Park. They have become a normal winter fixture in S.E. Boise. That said I have not seen one yet this year.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 10:05 AM, julie marcum <1mucram@...> wrote:

<owl.jpeg>

Andrea King

That looks very much like a barred owl to me!

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 10:20:02 AM MST, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Barred Owl … I have photographed them just off Parkcenter last year and there was one in the Christmas Bird count week in River Run I have one printed in metal on my wall that was taken in Barber Park. They have become a normal winter fixture in S.E. Boise. That said I have not seen one yet this year.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 10:05 AM, julie marcum <1mucram@...> wrote:

<owl.jpeg>

My guess would be barred, the dark eyes, the defined streaks.  Great puzzler!

Liz Medes

Jeff Fleischer

Definitely a Barred Owl :).  From the description of what happened, it probably saw its reflection in the window and thought it to be an intruder in its territory.  It was probably bewildered when the intruder didn’t move, actually “fighting back” :).  Birds are funny, yeah they are :)

Jeff

On Feb 3, 2021, at 11:41 AM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

My guess would be barred, the dark eyes, the defined streaks.  Great puzzler!

I have never seen one let alone two.