Topics

Northern Goshawk, not Osprey Oops!

Sarah Harris

While conducting our Winter Raptor Survey between Wendell and Hagerman yesterday, we veered off the path to see if we could relocate the COLO. We spotted a large grey raptor with a black and white facial pattern that flew up into a Russian-olive. It was near the river and not in the South Hills. I took photos and called it a lingering Osprey. After submitting raptor route data and information about our Osprey sighting to Jeff Fleischer, he responded.
"You've got a Northern Goshawk, not an Osprey." I have corrected my ebird report. I wish all of you who subscribe to ebird alerts were not privy to this embarrassing mistake. Alas, mea culpa.
Sarah

Melody and Michael Asher and McBride

but Sarah, It is a Beautiful Goshawk😀I am so glad that you saw it.

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Sarah Harris <idabirder@...> wrote:
While conducting our Winter Raptor Survey between Wendell and Hagerman yesterday, we veered off the path to see if we could relocate the COLO. We spotted a large grey raptor with a black and white facial pattern that flew up into a Russian-olive. It was near the river and not in the South Hills. I took photos and called it a lingering Osprey. After submitting raptor route data and information about our Osprey sighting to Jeff Fleischer, he responded.
"You've got a Northern Goshawk, not an Osprey." I have corrected my ebird report. I wish all of you who subscribe to ebird alerts were not privy to this embarrassing mistake. Alas, mea culpa.
Sarah

M Gregory

One of my best birding memories is having a Goshawk dive on me from her nest
high in an Eastern White Pine in 1998 at Nescopeck State Park, Pennsylvania.
Alan Gregory

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.