New Merlin Sound app

Elizabeth Medes

Hello Idaho birders,

I am curious what everyone's response is for those who have upgraded to Merlin's sound ID.  So far, I've been impressed; particularly when we are birding with multiple competing layers of sound, i.e. creek side, wind, water rushing by, always stiff competition for me.  I've used Sound Sleuth and Birdnet but they are challenged to pull out song from certain conditions.  With the warblers way up in the pine tops, or various thrushes hopping along the roaring creek, that makes it tough.

We birded upper Gem County early this a.m., and to watch the app locate and post birds one after another - well, that was unexpected.  Once tipped off by the app, I found nesting American Dippers, which I couldn't discern in all the racquet, also a Townsends Solitaire, and an unexpected wren, to my aged ear.  When out of range of service, it will provide some odd ball guesses, but when I get home and listen again, I can see where it's going.  Very intuitive as an app, but also a major piece of science.  Kudos to Cornell O Lab.

Who else has experience good/bad with it?

Liz Medes
Emmett ID

Darren Clark

Yeah. I think it’s a game changer for sure. I think it’s one of the biggest advances in birding since digital photography. I’ve been very impressed.

Darren Clark
Rexburg, ID

On Jun 29, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Miracle

I can not hear most fly catchers etc. that are high 8,000 hz and higher. Neither the birds nor the sound played by various apps.

Will this allow me to see a graphic representation of the sound? Then maybe it can help me ID those birds that I am told can best be differentiated by sound ie. Cordilleran and Pacific-slope etc..

On Jun 29, 2021, at 8:07 PM, Darren Clark <darrenclarkbird@...> wrote:

[...]

JP

Ken,
I just tried it out my window and it shows the sounds. It correctly identified yellow warblers and robins amidst lots of other ambient sounds.
Very cool.

John in Cascade

[...]

Thank you got it downloaded. Will have to try it when I get out again.

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:34 AM, JP <johnpowell20@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ken,

Yes it does give a visual of that bird while it's listening and they stack on top of one another. When I was in high bird song it was incredible to watch.

I found this link, while researching it, and now I see there are more up and running, but this shows an illustration of it, however primitive. Cornell may have went up and running by now on YouTube.

And yes I found a least flycatcher on it when I re-examined yesterday's sound files. Pretty incredible. I couldn't hear it, only saw it.

Liz

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 8:21 AM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this has anything to do with me using an Android device, but I wound up having to reinstall all of Merlin before I could get the sound portion to work.

Liz

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 8:49 AM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Could be … all worked right out of the box on my iPhone

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:54 AM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan Richards

Wow!  Thanks for the tip about the new update (I’m terrible about updating my apps).  I’ve been using Song Sleuth for a couple of years and it is helpful, but often gives me really oddball suggestions.  I do point counts as part of my Forest Service job.  This will be my new best friend!

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:57 AM, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28@...> wrote:

[...]

I do find that it skipped over lower register calls - it picked up the flycatchers, but ignored the clucking of a ruffed grouse hen and chicks practically at my feet.  Today it did the same thing,  passed over the quail in the sage four feet from me, but caught everything else.

Liz Medes

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:18 AM Dan Richards <hobyjudy@...> wrote:
[...]

I had to uninstall and then reinstall Merlin on my iPhone.

[...]

It seems to be working without a reinstall. it has the record feature and when I press it it starts recording, I did it indoors and did not finish since there were no bird sounds,  then it shows the my sound recordings, I have not finished any yet so there are none, and then Supported birds which is just a list on my app. Am I supposed to be able to tap on the birds in the list and hear that bird?

On Jun 30, 2021, at 9:58 AM, Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Davis

Having never used Merlin before, but seen the positive comments here I gave it a try.

I just tried it by playing recordings from ebird to see if it could identify them. It got Yellow warbler (with Gray Catbird as an alternate possibility) but had no match for Townsend’s warbler, Wilson's warbler, Pacific Wren and even Canyon Wren, Hermit Thrush or Swainson’s Thrush, all of which have pretty distinctive songs.  It also missed on Pacific Slope and Cordilleran Flycatchers expecting it might not differentiate between the two but it had not even a guess on them.  I tried multiple recordings of each bird-still no matches.  So I tried 9 birds and it got one partly right.

This was using the Rocky Mountain sound pack.  It correctly recorded all of the sonograms but did a poor job of identifying them.

I’ll try in in the field and see if It does any better but so far pretty unimpressive.

Bob Davis

On Jun 30, 2021, at 8:49 AM, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Lyons

Liz -

Thanks for your enthusiastic reporting. I've been using the Merlin Sound ID module for a few days, and have some amazingly good results both in field and "lab". Appreciate,  too, your and others calling attention to the scientific achievement this represents! This article ( link https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/whats-that-bird-song-merlin-bird-id-can-tell-you/) gives a little of the background, including differences in the challenge detecting certain songs and species compared to others. After using Chirpomatic and Song Sleuth for what seems like years of slow progress, and just recently the highly promising BirdNET, if you ask me Merlin has leaped far ahead in both its intelligence and user interface.

As with the photo ID solutions out there, those looking for "birding auto-pilot" may be disappointed but those who see these things as incredible tools that will enhance their birding and learning about birds. I see this as a real landmark in birding. And in AI!

Jim Lyons
Boise

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 6:48 PM Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:
[...]

Bob,
I did the same thing the very first day using other recordings, other than within the app, and got negative returns, so I don't understand that.  I've had far better results in the field, but as Jim has mentioned, there's no autopilot.  It skipped right over a Virginia Rail today - again that's a lower register so I don't know...  and the stronger the phone service, the more agile it appears to be.  Still, I find it to be a monumental leap from its predecessors.

Liz Medes

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 10:50 AM Bob Davis <rhdavis@...> wrote:
[...]

bike4birds

After reading all the enthusiastic reporting, I tried Sound ID today on my bike ride. When it said to get as close to the birds as possible, I became concerned that I had to get up close. Not to worry, I used it along the Greenbelt and it correctly identified a Western Wood Pewee immediately. Unfortunately, I was about to melt, so I didn’t try again. Thank you to everyone for alerting me to something I’ve apparently been carrying around unknowingly.

Tom McCabe, Boise

[...]

Richard and Ann Rusnak

All, Today was my 1st try at the new bird sounds app. Although I am an Idahoan, I am currently in TX, and using the app to record what I thought was red shouldered hawk, the app called it either the RSHA or blue jay. About the time I was reading this a blue jays did indeed fly out of the oak I was concentrating towards. So in this case the app was spot on, as the jays are mimics of RSHA’s. Fun app, especially in unfamiliar bird habitats
Cheers, Rich Rusnak,

[...]

Nancy Miller

Thanks for the notification. With all the emails I get from Cornell lab one would think I’d have seen that Merlin now includes sound id. I tried it immediately on the back patio and got recordings it recognized of Cordilleran flycatcher, Robin alerting of RTHA, Steller’s Jay, Cassin’s Finch – all birds I could see, hear and identify myself. It did throw in a couple of possibilities which seemed far-fetched – even sound-wise. American Dipper was included several times as a second possibility which is not in the realm of possibility.

Nancy Miller

Viola, ID

Elizabeth Medes

Hi Rebecca,

When I open up the app and click Home, Explore Birds, then on the inverted caret in the right hand corner, I get "All installed birds."  The Ruffed Grouse is there.  If I just explore "likely," it's not.  That would be within the Rocky Mountain pack.  I have to wonder if it's not because there aren't years of checklists from northern Gem County.

I suspect this platform will be tweaked as they receive feedback from ebirders.  I'm having lots of fun with it in the field but whenever I'm in low cell service, I get some oddball birds showing up.

Liz Medes

Rebecca A

When I open the app, select "Sound ID", then "Supported Birds", I don't see it... I think that "Explore Birds" is different.