N Catbird

lcarrigan_55

New arrival today is a N Catbird. Plenty of BH Grosbeaks, Lazuli Buntings & Yellow Warblers here. Finally saw a W Tanager yest AM. Curiously absent are House Wrens. Have seen a total of 2, this spring, over 3 wk apart. Usually, by now, already building their nests. And know where at least 4 should be nesting. Zero around for past 10 days. Do have a robin nesting under eave of garage at bend in gutter downspout. And have seen a Wild Turkey with 2 young fluff balls trotting beneath her.

lcarrigan_55

Sorry, meant Gray Catbird! Had Northern on my mind, as had been talking to another birder about N Goshawk sightings this past winter.

Brian Carrigan

Bill Moore

Our house wrens showed up en masse yesterday. I saw at least five at one time and they seem to be staking out usual sites around the house, in the woods and at the barn. Interesting thing was one of the first had a faulty, unusual song. When the gang appeared the faulty song stopped and everyone is now singing familiar refrain. You’d think it would have heard right song in winter range. They are a full month later than last year.

We’ve got hummers hitting feeders, but at a rate that’s about a third the rate over the last several years. They showed up on time however. I wonder if bird disease is reducing their numbers. I see no evidence of sick or slower birds however.

Lots of Lazuli and BH Grosbeaks and Cassins are still hanging out as are SIskens. My latest project is trying to turn some of the BH into BH/Rosebreasted hybrids per Sibley. As usual Evenings fled when BH appeared. Turkeys encourage dogs to want to get up and chase them out back at about 5:45 AM most mornings.

Bill Moore
Hoot Owl
Inkom

On May 29, 2021, at 4:11 PM, lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55@...> wrote:

Sorry, meant Gray Catbird! Had Northern on my mind, as had been talking to another birder about N Goshawk sightings this past winter.

Odd... I'm hearing house wrens nearly every day except in our backyard, where they set up housekeeping last year in a super deluxe bungalow hand-made and painted by a friend in Boise.  I'll just have to be patient.  Catbirds are in Montour WMA; chats, lazulis, and yellow warblers all in their quarters, nearby kestrels have fledged, saw female western tanagers this a.m. on Shalerock Rd, near Black Canyon Res.  Surprise Dusky flycatcher at Emmett Wastewater Treatment Plant this afternoon.

And that's the Gem County minute,

Liz Medes

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 3:52 PM lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
New arrival today is a N Catbird. Plenty of BH Grosbeaks, Lazuli Buntings & Yellow Warblers here. Finally saw a W Tanager yest AM. Curiously absent are House Wrens. Have seen a total of 2, this spring, over 3 wk apart. Usually, by now, already building their nests. And know where at least 4 should be nesting. Zero around for past 10 days. Do have a robin nesting under eave of garage at bend in gutter downspout. And have seen a Wild Turkey with 2 young fluff balls trotting beneath her.

cheryl huizinga

I’ll add to the “House Wrens -  Where Are They Question”.  I have seen/heard several at Deer Flat Refuge in Nampa and when birding out and about in SW Idaho, but we have had them nesting in our yard for several years but not this year.  And I’m not seeing/hearing as many as in past.

Cheryl in Caldwell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Appreciate the responses. Given your response, Bill, was hoping some House Wrens would show today, but no luck. However, don't give up hope on the BH-RB Grosbeak hybrid, the first that appeared on our place sev yrs ago was a hybrid, just like Sibley's.

Hadn't seen the RB Grosbeak since last WK, but appeared briefly at feeder this AM. Also, Bullock's Oriole & W Tanager. Added the orange slice/grape jelly feeder today.