Loon in Boise


Diann Stone
 

I saw the Common Loon at Riverside Park in Boise on Saturday. What situation would keep it here at this small local pond? It must be finding enough food, but why hasn't it flown farther north? Any theories?
 
Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”   Rachel Carson


Louisa Evers
 

One possibility is that the pond is too small to allow the loon to get airborne. With their relatively small wings for their body size snd placement of their legs far back on their body, loons need a long “runway” in order to take off.  --
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...


Ken Miracle
 

And the other question was how did it get there ?  Since it was first seen sitting on the shore where the orntihologists tell me Loons do not normally go when healthy.  Some speculation is that is was injured in a storm, attacked by an eagle etc.. but I have heard only conjecture. Some that know Loons far better than I say that the pond is large enough for it to take off if healthy others say as Louis said not enough runway.

On Jun 14, 2021, at 1:44 PM, Louisa Evers <elouisa603@...> wrote:

One possibility is that the pond is too small to allow the loon to get airborne. With their relatively small wings for their body size snd placement of their legs far back on their body, loons need a long “runway” in order to take off.  --
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Ken Miracle
chukar28@...
208-570-2780
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" 2COR 3:5


Diann Stone
 

My initial thought was the lack of runway space. I hadn't heard about it initially being found on land.

Thanks for your comments, Louisa and Ken. 


On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 1:45 PM Louisa Evers <elouisa603@...> wrote:
One possibility is that the pond is too small to allow the loon to get airborne. With their relatively small wings for their body size snd placement of their legs far back on their body, loons need a long “runway” in order to take off.  --
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...


rattlesnake4873
 

I suspect an injury or perhaps an aging issue.

Dean

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Diann Stone <dstoneak2id@...> wrote:
I saw the Common Loon at Riverside Park in Boise on Saturday. What situation would keep it here at this small local pond? It must be finding enough food, but why hasn't it flown farther north? Any theories?
 
Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”   Rachel Carson

--
Dean Jones
"A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words." Thomas Huxley
208-859-0072


Diann Stone
 

I thought about the possibility of an injury. If the bird can swim and dive, it's not likely a rehabber could catch it to examine it. 


On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 6:29 PM rattlesnake4873 <Rattlesnake4873@...> wrote:
I suspect an injury or perhaps an aging issue.

Dean

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Diann Stone <dstoneak2id@...> wrote:
I saw the Common Loon at Riverside Park in Boise on Saturday. What situation would keep it here at this small local pond? It must be finding enough food, but why hasn't it flown farther north? Any theories?
 
Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”   Rachel Carson

--
Dean Jones
"A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words." Thomas Huxley
208-859-0072


bike4birds
 

I was told by a fisherman that they recently stocked the pond where Mr. Loon is hanging out. Has he been enticed by a generous food supply? Not sure why he’s still there, but he has become part of my daily biking routine. I’ve only seen a few C. Loons along the Boise River, and this guy has stayed the longest.

Tom McCabe, Boise

 

From: IBLE@groups.io <IBLE@groups.io> On Behalf Of Diann Stone
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 6:32 PM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Loon in Boise

 

I thought about the possibility of an injury. If the bird can swim and dive, it's not likely a rehabber could catch it to examine it. 

 

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 6:29 PM rattlesnake4873 <Rattlesnake4873@...> wrote:

I suspect an injury or perhaps an aging issue.

 

Dean

 

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Diann Stone <dstoneak2id@...> wrote:

I saw the Common Loon at Riverside Park in Boise on Saturday. What situation would keep it here at this small local pond? It must be finding enough food, but why hasn't it flown farther north? Any theories?

 

Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”   Rachel Carson

--

Dean Jones

"A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words." Thomas Huxley

208-859-0072


Diann Stone
 

Thanks, Tom, for your comments. Easy fishing, easy meal. No need to migrate farther. Maybe it's a young bachelor wit no mate yet. 


On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 8:09 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

I was told by a fisherman that they recently stocked the pond where Mr. Loon is hanging out. Has he been enticed by a generous food supply? Not sure why he’s still there, but he has become part of my daily biking routine. I’ve only seen a few C. Loons along the Boise River, and this guy has stayed the longest.

Tom McCabe, Boise

 

From: IBLE@groups.io <IBLE@groups.io> On Behalf Of Diann Stone
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 6:32 PM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Loon in Boise

 

I thought about the possibility of an injury. If the bird can swim and dive, it's not likely a rehabber could catch it to examine it. 

 

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 6:29 PM rattlesnake4873 <Rattlesnake4873@...> wrote:

I suspect an injury or perhaps an aging issue.

 

Dean

 

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Diann Stone <dstoneak2id@...> wrote:

I saw the Common Loon at Riverside Park in Boise on Saturday. What situation would keep it here at this small local pond? It must be finding enough food, but why hasn't it flown farther north? Any theories?

 

Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”   Rachel Carson

--

Dean Jones

"A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words." Thomas Huxley

208-859-0072