Long-tailed Jaeger and adult Sabine's Gull in McCall

Carl Lundblad

Bruce, Eric, and Andrew Pratt of Corvallis, Oregon (regular mostly-summer visitors to west-central Idaho) photographed an apparent juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger on the eastern arm of Payette Lake this afternoon.  I'm guessing they probably observed it from the eastern shore near "Camp Ida-Haven" which I believe is private property along with most of the nearby land, and I don't know anything about access.  It looks like this bird could be looked for from East Side Road, the Shellworth Island area, Paradise Point, or possibly from within the Ponderosa State Park peninsula, near Huckleberry Bay and the Lilly Marsh Trail (though I don't think the open water is visible from the trail system).  This bird could also be moving anywhere around Payette Lake, and looking for it from a boat would probably be the best strategy.  They also had a nice adult Sabine's Gull.  Photos of both are in eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S94084836.  That's all the information I have at this time - culled from their eBird checklist.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Corvallis, OR

Aidan Lorenz

That does look like a Jaeger! Cool!

I will see if I can make it up there tomorrow to look for it.

Thank you for the information! :-D
--
Aidan Lorenz
Caldwell

bike4birds

I hate to be dense, but I’ve clicked the link several times, and the only photos I see are of the Sabins’s Gull. I even clicked on each of the 3 gentlemen’s lists and got the same result. Is there a secret link?

Tom McCabe

[...]

Chris Slymon

the jaeger photos are only on andrew pratt's list

On 9/2/2021 5:07 PM, bike4birds wrote:

[...]

Denise Hughes

I don’t see the jaeger either.  It’s not on the list.

[...]

I just noticed that Andrew saw the jaeger. No photos though.

On Sep 2, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Denise Hughes via groups.io <deniseh449@...> wrote:

[...]

Austin Young

I bet the owners of the list took the photos down and are changing species. Check again later is my advice, though I could be wrong.

Austin Young
Pocatello

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 17:13 Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:
[...]

younaust@...
Undergraduate Student
Ecology and Conservation Biology Club President
Idaho State University
Pocatello, Idaho

Chris Slymon

photos are still on Andrew's list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S94084835

On 9/2/2021 4:47 PM, Carl Lundblad wrote:
[...]

I think the observers might still be editing their checklist, adding media, Etc.  The Jaeger photos should be back up soon - apologies for the confusion.

Cheers,
Carl

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 4:07 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is an update link for the Long-tailed Jaeger photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S94084835, courtesy of Andrew Pratt.