Juvenile Rufous Hummingbird

lcarrigan_55

Have started getting regular visits to the nectar feeder past few days. My local Black-chinneds, both male & female, have been hitting hard in this heat. But, was surprised with sev visits yest evening by a juvenile Rufous. My first sightings for Rufous are usually the end of July, on their migration back south. I was esp surprised with this one being a juvenile. Of course, given the heat & warm summer, prob early nesting has occurred & migration south may have started.

Bill Moore

Our first Rufous, a brilliant male, showed up last Thursday, right about the usual date. Migration is surely begun.

I have three hummer feeders up and am refilling about one four cup feeder a day. This is about half the rate of recent years. Lots of displaying going on near the feeders, so it’s likely brood two is on the way.

Bill Moore
Hoot Owl Rd
Inkom