Topics

Hummingbirds Continue

lcarrigan_55

Seeing lots of juvenile hummingbirds. Have: Black-chinned, Rufous & Calliope. The only time they're semi-tolerant of one another is right at daybreak. They're at least civil, with a hummer perched at each port & sev hovering, waiting their turn. But, after about 20 minutes, pure chaos. I've seen at least 11 individual hummingbirds, including a juv Black-chinned with some leucistic wing feathers.

Based on previous correspondence with Bill Moore, calculated by how much nectar they're consuming, at least 35 diff't hummers are hitting the feeder. Also, saw 2 juvenile Spotted Towhees scratching under the seed feeder, bringing nesting birds to #31 for the place.

Brian, we had a flurry of black-chinned and rufous duking it out for a week, and now near silence.  They did drain the 2 cup feeders in a matter of days, I guess I should do the math but that sounds like plenty.  I'm waiting for a broad-tailed to show up.  Or at least a Calliope.  The hummers are hitting the hyssop fairly hard as well.

Liz Medes
Emmett

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 3:37 PM lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Seeing lots of juvenile hummingbirds. Have: Black-chinned, Rufous & Calliope. The only time they're semi-tolerant of one another is right at daybreak. They're at least civil, with a hummer perched at each port & sev hovering, waiting their turn. But, after about 20 minutes, pure chaos. I've seen at least 11 individual hummingbirds, including a juv Black-chinned with some leucistic wing feathers.

Based on previous correspondence with Bill Moore, calculated by how much nectar they're consuming, at least 35 diff't hummers are hitting the feeder. Also, saw 2 juvenile Spotted Towhees scratching under the seed feeder, bringing nesting birds to #31 for the place.

Bill Moore

I’m still getting many hummers. I refilled feeder number 132 today after three yesterday. That’s a few ahead of last year’s figures, retired engineers do numbers. I guess I’ve got all normal species, but not many rufous if any. They are displaying and charging each other with passion.
One observation after Jay’s molting facts, are some are brilliantly feathered, M & F, and some are quite dusky and mottled. Last year the feeder numbers dropped precipitously at August month end.

We are a breeding mecca for house wrens. There were two batches in the garage, two in bird house on driveway and several batches around the house. Now I think a pair is trying one more time in the yews under the front window.

No Bluebirds alas.

Bill Moore

On Aug 15, 2020, at 3:37 PM, lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55@...> wrote:

Seeing lots of juvenile hummingbirds. Have: Black-chinned, Rufous & Calliope. The only time they're semi-tolerant of one another is right at daybreak. They're at least civil, with a hummer perched at each port & sev hovering, waiting their turn. But, after about 20 minutes, pure chaos. I've seen at least 11 individual hummingbirds, including a juv Black-chinned with some leucistic wing feathers.

Based on previous correspondence with Bill Moore, calculated by how much nectar they're consuming, at least 35 diff't hummers are hitting the feeder. Also, saw 2 juvenile Spotted Towhees scratching under the seed feeder, bringing nesting birds to #31 for the place.

lcarrigan_55

Interesting, re: the molting info, Bill. Earlier in the week, I was seeing some "scruffy" juveniles, mainly Black-chinned. Since Thu, all are bright & fresh looking.

I haven't seen an adult of any, Black-chinned, Rufous nor Calliope, since Wed. All are juveniles & still getting all 3. Although, Rufous are fewest in number, as of today.  No Broad-taileds here, as of yet.