Grebe sp.

Elizabeth Medes

This photo of a what I think is a horned grebe (next to a RUDU) was taken at Emmett Wastewater Treatment Plant 9/12/21.  I have not been able to ID it.  The eye color told me it was a horned grebe but just didn't feel confident.  There were others that definitely looked like horned grebes and eared grebes in a mix with RUDUs.  Would love someone to tell me what it is and why.

Thanks,

Liz Medes
Gem County

Louisa Evers

I think it might be a juvenile horned grebe.  The juveniles of both horned and eared look similar, at least according to Sibley.  However the juv horned grebe has a light spot between the eye and bill with a dark line running from the eye to the bill, which I think I see in your photo.  The juvenile horned also has an oval head while the juvenile eared has a squared head.  The head of the bird in your photo looks more oval to me.

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...