Great Gray Owl

Elizabeth Medes

Seen today, Dec 16,
4:00 p.m., Montour WMA, near campground. Photos to follow.

Jeff Fleischer

Dang Liz,

That needs to get into the data base this winter! :)

Jeff

On Dec 16, 2020, at 3:38 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Seen today, Dec 16,
4:00 p.m., Montour WMA, near campground. Photos to follow.

Elizabeth Medes

 Jeff, I wish!
This has to be a one-off due to the heavy fog near the Payette today.  I couldn't believe my eyes, and got so excited I'll probably need to get my car interior detailed!

 I had zero connectivity, in auto route trolling mode, and was watching the hunters leave, the red tails playing, and the fog roll in when I found it.  Crikey, what a big owl!  Roosting about 3 ft off the ground.  I didn't linger, no longer than the time to get 3 photos.  I made a u-turn after the hunters had left and it was still there, preening!

To be as quasi precise as a sensitive species sighting is allowed, this was in Gem County, Montour WMA, about .5 mile or so from the Payette River.  Someone tell me if I need to do anything else, or less than.

Liz Medes
Gem County ID

GGOW Montour WMA 12162020.JPG

rattlesnake4873

Great sighting. I’ve seen them several times but have struck out the last two years where, what I thought to be, it was a sure thing.  A public island of land surrounded by private land in Valley County.

--
Dean Jones
"A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words." Thomas Huxley

WOW … great look and photo. I always seem to find them screened by branches etc. :-)

On Dec 16, 2020, at 5:37 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken, it was a quarterback shot, front and center.  So lucky am I.

Liz

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 6:01 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I have skulked through the same land as Dean, twice this fall/winter no luck seeing one of these beauties.
Good luck to all this holiday season and during the CBC
Rich Rusnak, Nampa/Cascade

On Dec 16, 2020, at 6:07 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

[...]

Andrea King

Amazing encounter and lovely photo!  I wish I could make the trip, but I live all the way over near Idaho Falls.  Hoping some GGO make their way down here this Winter, too.  It is my first year living here, so I am learning all of the good places to go birding :)

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 8:51 AM Richard and Ann Rusnak <rarusnak62@...> wrote:
[...]

Louisa Evers

The Great Gray Owl continues at Montour (12/17)  Six people saw it today (3 groups of 2 people).  Beautiful.  Even saw it catch and eat a vole.

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Ken Miracle

Cool and even more importantly I saw an e bird report that you saw a Barn Owl :-)

On Dec 17, 2020, at 1:47 PM, Louisa Evers <elouisa603@...> wrote:

The Great Gray Owl continues at Montour (12/17)  Six people saw it today (3 groups of 2 people).  Beautiful.  Even saw it catch and eat a vole.

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Diann Stone

It's always exciting to watch a raptor hunt, especially if it's a successful outcome. How lucky you are to have witnessed that. I hope the owl is not disturbed and stays around to continue its successful hunting.

Diann Stone  Boise Depot Bench

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 1:48 PM Louisa Evers <elouisa603@...> wrote:
The Great Gray Owl continues at Montour (12/17)  Six people saw it today (3 groups of 2 people).  Beautiful.  Even saw it catch and eat a vole.

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Elizabeth Medes

We completed a winter raptor survey today and part of the route is in the Montour area. Unfortunately no luck for us, but then musn't be greedy.  I had a very fortunate one-on-one with the dude.

Someone want to explain why the Great Gray Owl is here?  A birder told me today they have seen them in Hull's Gulch.  As the ebird data is sensitive, other ebirders probably don't see that?

Saw other birders (I missed someone there who knew me - sorry!) and from what I understand it is still there but moving around.  Lots of guns blazing today.  At least the owl can read the No Shooting Safety Zone sign!

Want to report a RTHA migration kettle on Pioneer Rd in Horseshoe Bend, Boise County.  Turn off east is just before the bridge where all the construction is going on.  I got a headache trying to count them as they would light and take off, but approximately 17 or more.  I've seen more in the air, but not roosting streamside.  Lots of bald and gold eagles out today as well, once the fog lifted.  Clandestine little Merlin made it today on the survey as well.

Cheers,

Liz
Emmett ID, the east side

Ken Pahlas

Pair spotted today (12/18) between 4 and 5 PM.

Elizabeth Medes

Holy cow!  A couple!

Louisa Evers

At Montour?--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Robert Kiernan

Seen today cluster of trees near montour road & main street  about 2:45 ,-today

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020, 6:41 PM Louisa Evers <elouisa603@...> wrote:
At Montour?--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Jeff Fleischer

What’s this??   Were TWO seen today, I did not get that email, if you have it could you forward that to me?  If there are two, camp out on site until you get both of them :)

Jeff

On Dec 18, 2020, at 5:36 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Holy cow!  A couple!

Patricia Weber

Interesting how eBird data puts the the species as sensitive but IBLE participants who are eBirders  post sensitive location data about the species.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 5:11 PM Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:
[...]

Jon Barnett

Interesting how many hunters there are in their vicinity daily, and yet they’ve stayed around.  😊

Sent from Mail for Windows 10