Great-crested Flycatcher still present at Montour WMA Sunday & a bonus Red-shouldered Hawk

Jay Carlisle

Seen for a few minutes this morning (Sunday) at ~930am today by ~6 folks @ ~ 43.9186937, -116.3381489 (a bit E/SE from the usual area; S of road in thicket between road & pond to SE) then flew downwards and not seen again.  Quite secretive or moved on …

We then spotted an immature Red-shouldered circling up and moving to the N over the tracks.  Will add pics to eBird later …

Jay

On Saturday, September 11, 2021, 12:00 PM, Jon Barnett <jrb4jc@...> wrote:

11:10 - still active in the same area...

On Sep 11, 2021, at 8:32 AM, Peter Olsoy <peterolsoy@...> wrote:

Same spot by the southwest parking lot, actively feeding and often perching high up in some trees. Seen by me, Katie, Russell and another birder.

The dog trials and hunting seem to be pretty far from the flycatcher spot.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021, 5:48 PM akswanson <akswanson@...> wrote:
Check eBird.  Many are added to observer's list but, for now, Ken's are the best..

On Sep 9, 2021 5:27 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:
In truth, I think it found me.

Anyone else in your party get photos of the gray flycatcher?

Liz

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 5:23 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you and thank you again for finding this little (big for flycathers) jewel.

On Sep 9, 2021, at 5:20 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Excellent photos, Ken.

Liz

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 2:42 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just starting through some of the photos. Smoke was a “bit” of a white balance challenge :-)

First shot is what I saw straight in front of the car when I first stepped out.

<K52_3573.jpg><K52_3650.jpg><K52_3654.jpg><K52_3657.jpg><K52_3665.jpg>

On Sep 9, 2021, at 2:12 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Local weather in Montour is going to change tonight - here's our weather station from a few miles west of there in case anyone wants to track the rain.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 1:56 PM rattlesnake4873 <Rattlesnake4873@...> wrote:
I’ll be in Boise tonight so I am shooting for it early tomorrow. Don’t let it fly on me!

Dean

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 12:14 PM cheryl huizinga <bchuizinga@...> wrote:
Update from Aiden Lorenz- Great-crested Flycatcher was seen at 11:40 at same spot.

Cheryl Huizinga
Caldwell, Idaho

On Sep 9, 2021, at 10:42 AM, Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Here just photographed

On Sep 8, 2021, at 7:48 PM, Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

 We just left at 730pm after 2+ hours with ~10 folks.  Apparently no sightings since ~noon … maybe it uses a different area in afternoon/evening?

Jason T is planning to try again early AM 🤞🤞🤞

Jay

On Wednesday, September 8, 2021, 2:56 PM, Jeff Fleischer via groups.io <raptorrunner97321=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Liz,

Wow, what a find, enjoyed looking at your pictures! :).  Glad to hear that it has been verified, you are a rock star!   Now, what we need this winter from this area is a Northern HawkOwl :).  Hope you are enjoying your summer, mine has been busy with doing stuff around the house and garden, taking a couple of camping trips, and creating 33 new routes for the project this winter, yikes, more work!:).  Take care,

Jeff

On Sep 8, 2021, at 12:45 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

Very happy to have this confirmed and thanks to Denise and Cheryl for accelerating that this a.m.
Attaching two point and shoots, and I would love to hear a caption for the one giving me the stink-eye.

Repeating here again, bird trials at Montour this weekend.  Imagine this is an extremely short window.  Bird likes to perch on dead snags in the open near mid-canopy maples.  Walk in thicket west of post fence in west parking lot and hopefully you will get a view.

Cheers,

Liz Medes
Emmett, Gem County (the east side)

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 11:43 AM Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:
I was just told there is going to be dog trials at Montour on Saturday and Sunday.  Probably best to look before then.

On Sep 8, 2021, at 9:16 AM, Denise Hughes via groups.io <deniseh449=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

We saw the bird in the area around the parking area at the west entrance of the WMA.  Check the dead branches on the deciduous trees, about 1/2 to 2/3 up the tree.

On Sep 8, 2021, at 9:09 AM, Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad@...> wrote:

Liz Medes reports that the Great Crested Flycatcher, that she found yesterday, is still present at Montour WMA (Gem County) this morning.  This will represent the second record for Idaho, pending IBRC acceptance.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Corvallis, OR

<GCFL 2 09082021 Montour.JPG><GCFL 09082021 Montour.JPG>

--
Dean Jones
"A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words." Thomas Huxley

Awesome Jay and Heidi, so very glad the flycatcher waited for you and all the early ebirders.

Can you please tell me where the pipits were?  And was the red-shouldered hawk vocalizing at all?

Thanks,

Liz Medes
Gem County

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 11:08 AM Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

The pipit was a flyover (heading N/NW) - heard the call first then saw it high overhead.

Congrats again on a great find!

Jay

On Sunday, September 12, 2021, 12:31 PM, Elizabeth Medes <liz.medes@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh what a dapper dan!  Hope to find him tomorrow.

Thanks,

Liz

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:48 PM Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Delighted you and Heidi got to encounter this big little guy/gal and cool that you spotted the RS Hawk … one I have not seen as far as I know. To bad I did not pay attention to what those thousands of birds were that I saw in 60 years of wandering around in the outdoors before I paid attention to birds I did not eat :-)