Grasshopper Sparrow

Jon Barnett

Does any other bird sound enough like a Grasshopper Sparrow to confuse the two?
I was in a grassy field near Lake Lowell and the song was very close to me, but I had no binoculars. Only my App to confirm sound. Thx... Jonathan

Cliff Weisse

Savannah Sparrow...

Cliff

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

M Gregory

The Grasshopper Sparrow's vocalization is very distinctive: tick, tick, tick, pizzzzzzzz
I recorded male Grasshopper Sparrows singing in a grassland seeded by strip-mining remediation in the old anthracite coal belt of northeastern Pa. Cassette tape deck. That dates me. ☺
Alan Gregory in Mountain Home

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 2:01 PM Cliff Weisse <cliffandlisa@...> wrote:
Savannah Sparrow...

Cliff

On 4/4/21 1:58 PM, Jon Barnett wrote:
> Does any other bird sound enough like a Grasshopper Sparrow to confuse the two?
> I was in a grassy field near Lake Lowell and the song was very close to me, but I had no binoculars.  Only my App to confirm sound.  Thx... Jonathan

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.

Jon Barnett

Hey Cliff, thanks for the confirmation.  It was the only other sparrow I could find in my app that potentially sounded similar I thought too.  I think the bird sounded more like the Grasshopper song, but since the Savannah is a possibility, I’m not going to make a decision, lol.  Interesting story, Alan…  Best, JB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10