Grasshopper Sparrow

Jon Barnett

Does any other bird sound enough like a Grasshopper Sparrow to confuse the two?
I was in a grassy field near Lake Lowell and the song was very close to me, but I had no binoculars. Only my App to confirm sound. Thx... Jonathan

Cliff Weisse

Savannah Sparrow...

Cliff

On 4/4/21 1:58 PM, Jon Barnett wrote:
Does any other bird sound enough like a Grasshopper Sparrow to confuse the two?
I was in a grassy field near Lake Lowell and the song was very close to me, but I had no binoculars. Only my App to confirm sound. Thx... Jonathan

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@octobersetters.com

M Gregory

The Grasshopper Sparrow's vocalization is very distinctive: tick, tick, tick, pizzzzzzzz
I recorded male Grasshopper Sparrows singing in a grassland seeded by strip-mining remediation in the old anthracite coal belt of northeastern Pa. Cassette tape deck. That dates me. ☺
Alan Gregory in Mountain Home

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 2:01 PM Cliff Weisse <cliffandlisa@...> wrote:
Savannah Sparrow...

Cliff

> Does any other bird sound enough like a Grasshopper Sparrow to confuse the two?
> I was in a grassy field near Lake Lowell and the song was very close to me, but I had no binoculars.  Only my App to confirm sound.  Thx... Jonathan
>
>
>
>
>
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

--

Alan C Gregory
Lt. Col., USAF, Ret.
Mountain Home, ID
Air Force Public Affairs Alumni Association, life member
Sierra club, life member
Member, North American Butterfly Association

Jon Barnett

Hey Cliff, thanks for the confirmation.  It was the only other sparrow I could find in my app that potentially sounded similar I thought too.  I think the bird sounded more like the Grasshopper song, but since the Savannah is a possibility, I’m not going to make a decision, lol.  Interesting story, Alan…  Best, JB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:01 PM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Grasshopper Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow...

Cliff

> Does any other bird sound enough like a Grasshopper Sparrow to confuse the two?
> I was in a grassy field near Lake Lowell and the song was very close to me, but I had no binoculars.  Only my App to confirm sound.  Thx... Jonathan
>
>
>
>
>
--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...