From: "ebird-alert" <ebird-alert@cornell.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2020 2:32:43 AM
Subject: [eBird Alert] Ada County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

*** Species Summary:

- Blue Jay (1 report)
- Fox Sparrow (2 reports)
- Harris's Sparrow (1 report)

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 13, 2020 12:30 by Ceredig Roberts
- 1066 E Hearthstone Drive, Ada, Idaho
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.656347,-116.17723&ll=43.656347,-116.17723
- Comments: "contiuing to visit the peanuts in the backyard."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 13, 2020 08:09 by Jay Carlisle
- Bitteroot neighborhood , Ada, Idaho
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.599982,-116.278439&ll=43.599982,-116.278439
- Comments: "Continuing along fence line near SW edge of Borah park. Still carrying left wing a bit droopy &#x1f914;"

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 13, 2020 14:59 by Ann Swanson
- Farmers Canal Bank between Cole Rd. and Aurora St., Ada, Idaho
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.5977459,-116.269083&ll=43.5977459,-116.269083
- Comments: "continuing."

Harris's Sparrow (Zonotrichia querula) (1)
- Reported Nov 13, 2020 08:09 by Jay Carlisle
- Bitteroot neighborhood , Ada, Idaho
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.599982,-116.278439&ll=43.599982,-116.278439
- Comments: "Immature with juncos, White-crowned, & Song along canal ~100 yards E of blue dumpster behind BK sports fields. Will add crummy digi-bino pic"

Jay Carlisle

Thanks Larry

By necessity, I've been focused more on "patch" birding in 2020 and I'm impressed with the variety this stretch of the Farmers Lateral canal, nestled in suburbia, has yielded.  For example, including Spotted Towhee & DE Junco, that's 12 species of sparrows I know of just this fall (Chipping, Brewer's, Lark, Fox, Junco, White-crowned, White-throated, Harris's, Savannah, Song, Lincoln's, and Towhee; does not include Vesper but maybe Ann or others saw one this fall?) and then there was the Clay-colored that Ann found in the spring so at least 13 sparrows in 2020!  Holding out for one more ... and hoping 1 or 2 goodies will linger for our CBC :-)

Jay

On Saturday, November 14, 2020, 6:34:45 AM MST, Larry Arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

awesome sparrows, Jay and Ann  =)

[...]

akswanson

Interesting you mentioned that Vesper Sparrow.  I called one April 19, 2019.  Of all the birds I’ve seen on that route, that is the one call I doubt the most.  I was hoping Jay would spot one this year and at least validate the possibility of a VESP.

Two observations:

  1. I have 98 species on the list during 5 years of walking that route.  It would be over 100 if I was better at identifying gulls (always “gull sps.) and female hummingbirds!  I am surprised at the variety of birds present in the neighborhood.  I never thought I would break 25 species.  A daily walk is good for your soul and eBird.  I encourage anyone to select a patch that is easy to access and start recording.  You will be amazed at what you see.
  2. Having Jay in the neighborhood walking the same route heightens your awareness when you stop and chat and he says, “Hey, did you just hear those Red Crossbills?” or “Clark’s Nutcrackers just flew by!”  He makes you “play-up” and strive to do better.  I think he and Heidi  helped me add 25 species since the spring by just adding their observations to eBird.   I’m thankful to so many people who listened to my beginner questions and helped me be a better birder including all those Audubon and SIBA Field Trips.

Let’s hope for more Vespers in 2021.  Ann

By necessity, I've been focused more on "patch" birding in 2020 and I'm impressed with the variety this stretch of the Farmers Lateral canal, nestled in suburbia, has yielded.  For example, including Spotted Towhee & DE Junco, that's 12 species of sparrows I know of just this fall (Chipping, Brewer's, Lark, Fox, Junco, White-crowned, White-throated, Harris's, Savannah, Song, Lincoln's, and Towhee; does not include Vesper but maybe Ann or others saw one this fall?) and then there was the Clay-colored that Ann found in the spring so at least 13 sparrows in 2020!  Holding out for one more ... and hoping 1 or 2 goodies will linger for our CBC :-)

Jay

43°35'53.9"N 116°16'05.7"W

Boise Bench, Boise, ID