From: IBLE@groups.io <IBLE@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bud Alford
Sent: Sunday, May 9, 2021 9:43 PM
To: IBLE@Groups.io
Subject: [IBLE] Downy Woodpecker female?

Looks like? a Downy WP pecking on our Ring doorbell camera.
Sometimes the bird is too close to be sure.
Can hear the bill tapping the glass camera on the video.
Something about it she liked ... round shiny objects?
Anyone else had this experience?
Bud Alford
Idaho Falls

Sent from my iPad

Cliff Weisse

The bill is too long for Downy Woodpecker too. I like Red-breasted Nuthatch.

Cliff

On 5/9/21 9:48 PM, bike4birds wrote:
I would have called it a Red-breasted Nuthatch. The chest looks reddish in the one photo, at least on my computer.
Tom

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

Louisa Evers

Agree that it looks more like a nuthatch with that upturned appearance to the bill. Might be seeing its reflection in the glass and think its attacking a rival. Alternatively it may think the reflections in the glass look like a potential nesting site. Nuthatches are cavity nesters.

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...