Conspicuous Absence

lcarrigan_55

All the usuals are now here: BH Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles, BC Hummingbirds (at least a dozen, using formula of how fast nectar disappears from feeder), Lazuli Buntings, Swanson's Hawk pr nesting nearby & Yellow Warblers. But, a complete absence of House Wrens. Had a single one appear early in spring migration &, literally, zero since. And, the one appearance was just that, not seen since.

A local phenomenon? Or are others seeing the same? Had same occurrence about 15 yrs ago for a single summer. Then, the next spring, the House Wrens were back. Just curious.

Cliff Weisse

FWIW, I have a House Wren singing in my yard here in Island Park. We don't always have them here but we cut a bunch of small trees and branches to reduce fire danger last summer and there are piles of brush around that aren't typically here. I assume that's why they're here?

Cliff

On 6/5/22 08:18PM, lcarrigan_55 wrote:
All the usuals are now here: BH Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles, BC Hummingbirds (at least a dozen, using formula of how fast nectar disappears from feeder), Lazuli Buntings, Swanson's Hawk pr nesting nearby & Yellow Warblers. But, a complete absence of House Wrens. Had a single one appear early in spring migration &, literally, zero since. And, the one appearance was just that, not seen since.

A local phenomenon? Or are others seeing the same? Had same occurrence about 15 yrs ago for a single summer. Then, the next spring, the House Wrens were back. Just curious.

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

Janet Shipman

Heard/saw many house wrens today at the hummingbird roundup at Rudeen Ranch.

Ken Miracle

The first one I have seen this year. Lucky Peak State Park Discover Unit. 6-2-22.

On Jun 5, 2022, at 8:18 PM, lcarrigan_55 <carriganbw@...> wrote:

All the usuals are now here: BH Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles, BC Hummingbirds (at least a dozen, using formula of how fast nectar disappears from feeder), Lazuli Buntings, Swanson's Hawk pr nesting nearby & Yellow Warblers. But, a complete absence of House Wrens. Had a single one appear early in spring migration &, literally, zero since. And, the one appearance was just that, not seen since.

A local phenomenon? Or are others seeing the same? Had same occurrence about 15 yrs ago for a single summer. Then, the next spring, the House Wrens were back. Just curious.

lcarrigan_55

Maybe they're simply...late. Definitely, unusual. In past, one of the first spring Arrivals. Thanks for the info, Ken.

lcarrigan_55

Thanks, Cliff. Haven't been up to cabin much this spring, yet. Will see if any are around mine.

bike4birds

On my regular biking route, there is a brushy area between Veteran’s Pond and the entrance to Veteran’s Park, and they seem to be there in numbers. Usually singing as I bike past. Bewick’s Wrens, on the other hand, have become harder to find. All of the others you mentioned have shown up, but some have moved higher already. And we, too, have a Swainson’s nesting in our neighborhood.

Tom McCabe, Boise

Thanks, Cliff. Haven't been up to cabin much this spring, yet. Will see if any are around mine.

Denise Hughes

Bennett mountain usually has several house wrens but I only saw one this year. Other places seem to have multiple birds and others none.

The longer I live, the more convinced am I that this planet is used by other planets as a lunatic asylum.  -George Bernard Shaw

On Jun 5, 2022, at 8:18 PM, lcarrigan_55 <carriganbw@...> wrote:

All the usuals are now here: BH Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles, BC Hummingbirds (at least a dozen, using formula of how fast nectar disappears from feeder), Lazuli Buntings, Swanson's Hawk pr nesting nearby & Yellow Warblers. But, a complete absence of House Wrens. Had a single one appear early in spring migration &, literally, zero since. And, the one appearance was just that, not seen since.

A local phenomenon? Or are others seeing the same? Had same occurrence about 15 yrs ago for a single summer. Then, the next spring, the House Wrens were back. Just curious.

Paul GRABE

There has been a House Wren nesting in the Foote Park Historical Display Shelter for awhile. I saw one of them this evening carrying food to nest.

On Jun 5, 2022, at 9:23 PM, Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:

[...]

Erik Kiviat

Stunning photo, Ken!

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 10:36 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The first one I have seen this year. Lucky Peak State Park Discover Unit. 6-2-22.

On Jun 5, 2022, at 8:18 PM, lcarrigan_55 <carriganbw@...> wrote:

All the usuals are now here: BH Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles, BC Hummingbirds (at least a dozen, using formula of how fast nectar disappears from feeder), Lazuli Buntings, Swanson's Hawk pr nesting nearby & Yellow Warblers. But, a complete absence of House Wrens. Had a single one appear early in spring migration &, literally, zero since. And, the one appearance was just that, not seen since.

A local phenomenon? Or are others seeing the same? Had same occurrence about 15 yrs ago for a single summer. Then, the next spring, the House Wrens were back. Just curious.

Thank you Erik … these "little brown birds" go unnoticed by many unless they are lucky enough to have one nest at their home. I was glad to get a photo of one showing off the plumage in a different way.

On Jun 6, 2022, at 7:22 AM, Erik Kiviat via groups.io <kiviat@...> wrote:

Stunning photo, Ken!

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 10:36 PM Ken Miracle via groups.io <chukar28=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The first one I have seen this year. Lucky Peak State Park Discover Unit. 6-2-22.

<image003.jpg>

On Jun 5, 2022, at 8:18 PM, lcarrigan_55 <carriganbw@...> wrote:

All the usuals are now here: BH Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles, BC Hummingbirds (at least a dozen, using formula of how fast nectar disappears from feeder), Lazuli Buntings, Swanson's Hawk pr nesting nearby & Yellow Warblers. But, a complete absence of House Wrens. Had a single one appear early in spring migration &, literally, zero since. And, the one appearance was just that, not seen since.

A local phenomenon? Or are others seeing the same? Had same occurrence about 15 yrs ago for a single summer. Then, the next spring, the House Wrens were back. Just curious.

I have not been to Foote for a while I need to get over there … one of the places I have found House, Canyon and Rock Wrens on the same hike in the past.

On Jun 6, 2022, at 12:01 AM, Paul GRABE <grapeape1041@...> wrote:

[...]

Patty GAILEY

Brian…

All the usuals you report with the addition of White Crowned Sparrows and Western Tanagers. We were just remarking on the absence of House Wrens. We usually have several nesting around the property and singing away to us as we work in the gardens.

Patty Gailey

Blackfoot, ID 83221

triadcorgis@...

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jay Carlisle

I heard some folks mention lower House Wren #s last year as well and I've often wondered if the big avian mortality event in the southern Rockies in early Sept 2020 (www.aba.org/the-data-behind-mysterious-bird-deaths-in-new-mexico/), in addition to hitting swallows, flycatchers, and others hard, took a toll on some of "our" House Wrens since late Aug & Sept is their peak migratory period in the fall???  I don't think it could just be that they are late - as Brian says, they're usually one of the earlier Neotropical migrants to arrive so maybe a few individuals are later than usual but it's hard to imagine a scenario in which the bulk of a population was 1+ months behind schedule.

Let's hope these guys and other insectivorous migrants stage a comeback this year (wetter year, hopefully = more productivity)!

Jay

On Monday, June 6, 2022, 08:52:27 AM MDT, Patty GAILEY <triadcorgis@...> wrote:

Brian…

All the usuals you report with the addition of White Crowned Sparrows and Western Tanagers. We were just remarking on the absence of House Wrens. We usually have several nesting around the property and singing away to us as we work in the gardens.

Patty Gailey

Blackfoot, ID 83221

triadcorgis@...

Sent from Mail for Windows

Bill Moore

My house wrens showed up late last week and are bubbling away merrily. However we are missing bluebirds over the last several years.

Bill Moore
Hoot Owl
Inkom

On Jun 6, 2022, at 3:28 PM, Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike

It’s not Idaho but I have House wrens nest building on my place in Colville. For what it is worth, looking back at my notes it’s a good 2 weeks later than last year.

Mike Munts

Colville, WA

[...]

The data behind mysterious bird deaths in New Mexico - American Birding ...

When we arrived at midnight, we found a macabre scene. Several hundred Violet-green Swallows were strewn across ...

Let's hope these guys and other insectivorous migrants stage a comeback this year (wetter year, hopefully = more productivity)!

Jay

On Monday, June 6, 2022, 08:52:27 AM MDT, Patty GAILEY <triadcorgis@...> wrote:

Brian…

All the usuals you report with the addition of White Crowned Sparrows and Western Tanagers. We were just remarking on the absence of House Wrens. We usually have several nesting around the property and singing away to us as we work in the gardens.

Patty Gailey

Blackfoot, ID 83221

triadcorgis@...

Sent from Mail for Windows

Diann Stone

Have the House Wrens showed up in Blackfoot? Earlier in the month Brian Carrigan noted the wrens had not yet appeared in usual numbers.

Diann Stone
Boise Depot Bench