Topics

Common Crane photo'd on private land in Camas Prairie area (SW of Fairfield) yesterday

Jay Carlisle

Still awaiting more details, including if it was seen again today and if the area is visible from public roads (& awaiting permission to share the pic).

But, since cranes can fly and people might consider changing plans for tomorrow, figured I'd mention to stay tuned ... AND IF YOU GO LOOKING TOMORROW WITHOUT ADDITIONAL LOCATION/ACCESS INFO, DO NOT TRESPASS!

Thanks,

Jay

Carter Strope

Hi all! I have refound the Common Crane today in Fairfield!

For those interested in chasing I will post a pin. Please be very mindful of private land and only view the bird from public roads. Also please note that it has been raining all night and the roads are muddy, please be very careful as not make ruts in the road.

Dropped pin
Near Baldwin Rd, Fairfield, ID 83327

-Carter

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 20:19 Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Still awaiting more details, including if it was seen again today and if the area is visible from public roads (& awaiting permission to share the pic).

But, since cranes can fly and people might consider changing plans for tomorrow, figured I'd mention to stay tuned ... AND IF YOU GO LOOKING TOMORROW WITHOUT ADDITIONAL LOCATION/ACCESS INFO, DO NOT TRESPASS!

Thanks,

Jay

Denise Hughes

Google keeps  calling the road Baldwin Road but the sign on the highway says S 300 E

Denise Hughes
Caldwell, Idaho

On Nov 18, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Carter Strope <cmstropep@...> wrote:

For those interested in chasing I will post a pin. Please be very mindful of private land and only view the bird from public roads. Also please note that it has been raining all night and the roads are muddy, please be very careful as not make ruts in the road.

Dropped pin

-Carter

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 20:19 Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks,

Jay

Carter Strope

Bird is still present as of 13:48

-Carter

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020, 11:16 Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:
Google keeps  calling the road Baldwin Road but the sign on the highway says S 300 E

Denise Hughes
Caldwell, Idaho

On Nov 18, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Carter Strope <cmstropep@...> wrote:

Dropped pin

-Carter

Thanks,

Jay

Robert Kiernan

I cannot  find a common crane  in any.guide book any other name for it 

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020, 8:41 AM Carter Strope <cmstropep@...> wrote:

Dropped pin

-Carter

Thanks,

Jay

rattlesnake4873

It is  in Sibley 2nd ed.

Dean

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 3:13 PM Robert Kiernan <photobirder@...> wrote:

Dropped pin

-Carter

Thanks,

Jay

Bill Moore

Google called it a Eurasian Crane.

Wasn’t there one in that area 10 years ago or so?

Bill Moore
Inkom

On Nov 18, 2020, at 3:12 PM, Robert Kiernan <photobirder@...> wrote:

Dropped pin

-Carter

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 20:19 Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks,

Jay

Lucian Davis

Hey all,
Eurasian Crane is another name for Common Crane (scientific name Grus grus). There’s usually only one or so in the entire continent per year, and typically in western Alaska, so that’s why it’s not in a lot of field guides. ABA rarity code 4. The bird from ten years ago was a Hooded Crane, which is even rarer.
Lucian Davis 

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 3:20 PM Bill Moore <hootowlbill@...> wrote:

Bill Moore
Inkom

Dropped pin

-Carter

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020, 20:19 Jay Carlisle via groups.io <carlislejay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks,

Jay

Robert Kiernan

I went to internet to find info on it

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020, 3:20 PM Bill Moore <hootowlbill@...> wrote:

Bill Moore
Inkom

Dropped pin

-Carter

Thanks,

Jay

Tim Reynolds

The hooded crane was near Carey,

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:25 PM
To: IBLE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Common Crane photo'd on private land in Camas Prairie area (SW of Fairfield) yesterday

Hey all,
Eurasian Crane is another name for Common Crane (scientific name Grus grus). There’s usually only one or so in the entire continent per year, and typically in western Alaska, so that’s why it’s not in a lot of field guides. ABA rarity code 4. The bird from ten years ago was a Hooded Crane, which is even rarer.
Lucian Davis

Bill Moore
Inkom

Dropped pin

-Carter

Thanks,

Jay

Janet Phillips

There was a Common Crane in California just south of Lakeview, OR off Highway #395 this past August.  It was there (with a large number of Sandhill Cranes) for several weeks—can’t access eBird data at this time.  Here is a long distance photo (hand held) to give you all some idea of what you are looking for.

On Nov 18, 2020, at 5:05 PM, Tim Reynolds <t.doyle@q.com> wrote:

The hooded crane was near Carey,

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Common Crane photo'd on private land in Camas Prairie area (SW of Fairfield) yesterday

Hey all,
Lucian Davis

Bill Moore
Inkom

Dropped pin

-Carter

Thanks,

Jay

Louisa Evers

My friends in Burns think its possible that the bird in Fairfield area is the same one seen near Lakeview.

Jon Barnett

Thank you!  Has anyone seen it today yet?  If so, same or new location?  Best, Jonathan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 8:42 PM

My friends in Burns think its possible that the bird in Fairfield area is the same one seen near Lakeview.

Carter Strope

Hey everybody,

I am unsure if anyone has looked for the bird today yet but I'll let people know here when I do. 

I am getting lots of requests for updates so if anyone is considering looking today or already has, updates here would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Carter

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020, 09:04 Jon Barnett <jrb4jc@...> wrote:

Thank you!  Has anyone seen it today yet?  If so, same or new location?  Best, Jonathan

Denise Hughes

Carter just reported that the Crane has been seen this morning in the same general area, about 100 yards south of Wednesday’s location. 

Denise Hughes
Caldwell, Idaho

On Nov 19, 2020, at 9:25 AM, Carter Strope <cmstropep@...> wrote:

Hey everybody,

I am unsure if anyone has looked for the bird today yet but I'll let people know here when I do. 

I am getting lots of requests for updates so if anyone is considering looking today or already has, updates here would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Carter

Ken Miracle

I just photographed it still there way out. Now off to look for snow buntings etc.

On Nov 19, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:

Carter just reported that the Crane has been seen this morning in the same general area, about 100 yards south of Wednesday’s location. 

Denise Hughes
Caldwell, Idaho

Hey everybody,

-Carter

akswanson

Do you need a 4 x 4 to access the road?  Would a regular sedan be adequate?

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/19/20 11:14 AM (GMT-07:00)

I just photographed it still there way out. Now off to look for snow buntings etc.

On Nov 19, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Denise Hughes <deniseh449@...> wrote:

Denise Hughes
Caldwell, Idaho

Hey everybody,

-Carter

Louisa Evers

Regular sedan will work

--
Louisa Evers
elouisa603@...

Robert Mortensen

The Common Crane was still being seen at 2:30pm. Ken Miracle helped get me on it and I was able to get a couple other birders on it before I left. On my way out, at the intersection of the first road off the highway I found a large mixed flock of Horned Larks and Snow Buntings. Snow Bunting has been a 15-year nemesis bird for me... until today! 

Ken Miracle

really cool that you found the Snow Buntings … I lost our messenger call but was 20 miles aways and decided that since it was late and not a lifer not to turn around :-)

On Nov 19, 2020, at 5:06 PM, Robert Mortensen <birdingisfun@...> wrote:

The Common Crane was still being seen at 2:30pm. Ken Miracle helped get me on it and I was able to get a couple other birders on it before I left. On my way out, at the intersection of the first road off the highway I found a large mixed flock of Horned Larks and Snow Buntings. Snow Bunting has been a 15-year nemesis bird for me... until today! 

Ken Miracle
chukar28@...
208-570-2780
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" 2COR 3:5