Bird ID help

Linda Lamb

The following duck was spotted off of Sunnyside road east of Sandpoint this afternoon. It was swimming by itself so low in the water that we initially thought it was a muskrat swimming. It appears to be some sort of a hybrid? Note the gray bill and brown eye also the head structure reminds me of a ring-necked.

Ken Miracle

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Lesser_Scaup/id

Appears to be a Lesser Scaup with some wing damage. The photos are not clear enough to see the size of the nail on the bill but the shape of the head seems more peaked and not as round in the back as a Greater Scaup would be.

On Feb 1, 2021, at 10:26 PM, Linda Lamb <lamreeves58@...> wrote:

The following duck was spotted off of Sunnyside road east of Sandpoint this afternoon. It was swimming by itself so low in the water that we initially thought it was a muskrat swimming. It appears to be some sort of a hybrid? Note the gray bill and brown eye also the head structure reminds me of a ring-necked. <2021_0201_13232600.jpg><2021_0201_13232300.jpg><2021_0201_13231400.jpg>

Linda Lamb

Thanks. Lesser scalp did not occur to me as I hadn't seen any in the area yet this season and the duck appeared to be so very black except for the white on its sides.