Backyard birding

bike4birds

Given our current “heat dome,” birding along the Boise River has slowed down somewhat. But, amazingly, my backyard has gotten more active. While I realize I am catering (literally) to the little feather balls, I’m still amazed.

I won’t bore you with my list for the yard for the year, but just in the last 2 days I’ve had mobs of Lesser and American Goldfinches, House Finches, House Sparrows, Mourning Doves, and BC Hummers. But I’ve also had appearances by Song Sparrows, RB Nuthatches, and BC Chickadees. Then today we had a visit by a Cooper’s hawk (obviously attracted by all the little guys) and then a Lazuli Bunting. While I realize these are not earth-shaking observations, try to remember that I live in a city that is currently frying.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my good fortune. The LABU, in particular, is not a bird that regularly visits my house.

Tom McCabe, Boise