Topics

Any News on the Common Crane for 11/21?

Aidan Lorenz

Hello! Has anyone gotten any word if the crane is still around this morning? I was going to make a trip out there today, and wondered if it was still there or not.

Thanks!

Aidan Lorenz
Caldwell

scottywarbler

I looked around this morning. No luck. Snow is crusted over hard. No geese around at all. Very clear and cold. I’m guessing it’s moved south o we the mountains to the Magic Valley somewhere. Pioneer Reservoir near bliss or down in the Wendell Hagerman Area. Anyone’s guess though.

Zeke Watkins
208-731-1471
Instagram : @idahobirder

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Without the animals, Man would die of a great loneliness of the Spirit - Chief Seattle

An understanding of the natural world and what's in it is a source of not only great curiosity but great fulfillment - Sir David Attenborough

On Nov 21, 2020, at 8:59 AM, natureguy9039@... wrote:

Hello! Has anyone gotten any word if the crane is still around this morning? I was going to make a trip out there today, and wondered if it was still there or not.

Thanks!

Aidan Lorenz
Caldwell

Jay Carlisle

It could be in Nevada or California by now but I’ve been trying to think of likely places in Idaho if it did a shorter jump.  In addition to Zeke’s ideas, the CJ Strike reservoir area or Duck Valley might be other options (since it was seen heading off in a SW direction) but who knows???

Maybe someone will get lucky soon or on a CBC - or maybe we’ll hear about it further S 😁

Jay

On Saturday, November 21, 2020, 9:33 AM, scottywarbler via groups.io <scottywarbler@...> wrote:

[...]

akswanson

Same with us.  No Snow Buntings or Lonspurs either.   Single digit temperatures. Very quiet.

Ann Swanson and Louisa Evers

[...]

rattlesnake4873

Jay, did some looking into and and learned some crane facts. Correct if I’m wrong. Cranes usually migrate by day and may only cover 200 miles a day, relying on updrafts to gain altitude and then glide. If so, we can perimeter potential progress and look for corresponding feeding areas. BTW, one species migrates over the Himalayas at an altitude of 26,000 feet!

Dean Jones

On Saturday, November 21, 2020, 9:33 AM, scottywarbler via groups.io <scottywarbler=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Kit Struthers

Two friends and I from Idaho Falls drove all around and looked for hours with no luck. We birded and talked with nine other birders who also had no luck.

Brad Hammond, previously of Idaho Falls and now from Wilder, found four immature Snow Geese and a flock of Snow Buntings for us.

Kit

Kit Struthers
Idaho Falls, ID
kit619@centurylink.net