Topics

Another great day on the Greenbelt

bike4birds

I knew I would have a good day when I spotted a MERLIN at 23rd & Brumback St., long before I got to the river. Then I proceeded to find the usual suspects, until I found a RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER, in some pine trees at the Willow Lane athletic complex. These trees are on the southwest corner of the only soccer field there, right along the greenbelt. These trees played host to RNSA a few years ago. Some of the other pines along the soccer field still have the line of holes from a prior visit.

I then found my f.o.s. BARROW’S GOLDENEYE further downriver, almost to Silver Lake. He was consorting with several of his COMMON brethren. Then, on the way back, I happened to notice a clump of gray up in a tree and discovered a WESTERN SCREECH OWL sitting on a branch about 20 feet up, soaking up the rays.

This is the second day in a row that I’ve found more than 40 species on my bike ride, but the Red-naped Sapsucker really made my day. Plus, this week I surpassed 4,000 miles for the 9th year in a row. But, hey, who’s counting?

Tom McCabe, Boise

Jay Carlisle

Nice finds!

Let’s hope the sapsucker lingers til the CBC (Dec 27 :-) 🤞

Jay

On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 3:02 PM, bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

[...]

David Whitacre

Well, it's unlikely the Merlin will get the Sapsucker before the CBC, but fingers crossed anyway!

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 3:02 PM bike4birds <tmccabe9@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Arnold <larnold47@...>

ja baby !!!

thx for your phone call Tom, I got on your sapsucker just before it was flushed by other peoples, flew S across the river, but it will be back, eh?   =) ~~~

yay BAGO   =)

Let’s hope the sapsucker lingers til the CBC (Dec 27 :-) \uD83E\uDD1E

[...]

Tom, thx for calling, dude !!
I got on your sapsucker just before it flushed across the river by someone who got too close

LA

[...]

John Shortis

Good sightings Tom!
Yesterday to my surprise I saw an Osprey perched in a tree near the SE 2.8 marker. Anyone else seen an Osprey so late in the year?

John Shortis

[...]

I took these on the Bethine Church River Trail 12-1-20. Reported to E bird and had to add them to the list since it was this late.