Topics

Accipiters

lcarrigan_55

Can tell when one of the winter resident accipiters is out & about, as my feeders suddenly become silent. With our recent cold spell & snowstorms, my feeders are getting a lot of activity from the usuals: House Finches, Black-capped Chickadees & Dark-eyed Juncos.

But, when silent, I start scanning the trees &, without fail, either find the immature N Goshawk or the adult female, by size, Sharp-shinned Hawk which have been busy everyday, recently. Other than those, still waiting for a winter Finch irruption, of some kind!

Diann Stone

Seeing accipiters is always a thrill for me. Thanks for your report that I can enjoy almost as much as seeing them myself. Well, not really we but thanks for posting.

Diann Stone. Boise Depot Bench

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021, 12:00 PM lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <lcarrigan_55=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can tell when one of the winter resident accipiters is out & about, as my feeders suddenly become silent. With our recent cold spell & snowstorms, my feeders are getting a lot of activity from the usuals: House Finches, Black-capped Chickadees & Dark-eyed Juncos.

But, when silent, I start scanning the trees &, without fail, either find the immature N Goshawk or the adult female, by size, Sharp-shinned Hawk which have been busy everyday, recently. Other than those, still waiting for a winter Finch irruption, of some kind!

Jeff Brough

It's the same at my house. The usual crowd, however this winter I've spied a Song Sparrow in the mix on three separate occasions.  Also, for the first time ever, I have as many as 8 goldfinches hitting my thistle feeder.