Gulls at CJ Strike : Jack's Creek

John Shortis

Hi Birders,
Yesterday, Amy Bechtel & I were at Jack's Creek. It was very windy, so a lot of birds hunkered down.
A group of Ring-billed Gulls seem to be taking advantage of the strong winds by almost appearing to perch on the tops of the Russian Olives to pick off the olives. 
Has anyone else seen this before?
John Shortis.

Cliff Weisse

I remember seeing a Ring-billed Gull in a Russian Olive and eating olives at Wilson Spring Ponds years ago. It struck me as unusual at the time but apparently that wasn't a one off observation.

Cliff

On 9/18/22 11:42AM, John Shortis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Birders,
Yesterday, Amy Bechtel & I were at Jack's Creek. It was very windy, so a lot of birds hunkered down.
A group of Ring-billed Gulls seem to be taking advantage of the strong winds by almost appearing to perch on the tops of the Russian Olives to pick off the olives. 
John Shortis.
-- 
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
cliffandlisa@...

Steve Bouffard

I have witnessed the same behavior many years ago at Minidoka NWR.  It was a windy day.  I think the gulls need a strong wind to feed in this manner 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/18/22 11:42 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: IBLE <ible@groups.io>
Subject: [IBLE] Gulls at CJ Strike : Jack's Creek

Hi Birders,
John Shortis.